Making a Wreath

(Okay, this is my last Christmas post for 2008.  If I had been on the ball, I would have been posting this during the holidays, but alas, I was not on the ball, I was vacationing.)

Speaking of balls… the only after-Christmas-sales that we made an effort to get to were the ones that offered Christmas ornaments and decorations.  So we were at Target by 7:15, just in time to join the masses in the fight for twinkling lights and fake trees.  (How else do you think my mom decorates those four Christmas trees? It’s all about buying things on sale the day-after-Christmas.)  I’m actually glad we got there early because things were going fast.  While I had all of the ornaments I needed for next year’s tree, I wanted to make an ornament wreath so I needed to stock up.

I first read about this project on Eddie Ross’s website and loved the beautiful wreath he made of pink, blue and white ornaments.  (Something to keep in mind – depending on the color of the balls, these wreaths could be used for different seasons, not just Christmas.)

My mom and I decided to make ours with red and gold.  So we loaded our carts with ornaments of all sizes and textures.  Some had glitter, some had small jewels, and some were just plain shiny.  We got about 80 in all.

After bringing them home, we made a work station out of the dining room table and got busy.  With a glue gun, we glued the tops of the ornaments together so they wouldn’t pop off.  Important first step (as we found out later with a few that we had missed).

It didn’t take long, just a drop of glue did the trick.

Then we were ready to sort.  While not a necessary part of the process, with so many ornaments, it helped to get an idea of how we wanted the wreaths to look.

We also made sure that there were enough small, medium and larger balls with which to work.  The smaller ornaments were necessary because they filled the space between the larger balls.

Once the ornaments were ready, it was time to begin the fun part.  We took a regular wire hanger…

and bent it into the shape of a circle.  (If I were to do it again, I would use a thinner, white wire, instead of the thick gold wire hanger that we used.  It was a little more difficult to tie when we were done.)

Oh, and it helps to have a look of concentration on your face.  Makes the process go a lot smoother.

Once the wires were ready…

we began to string the balls.

There was no real rhyme or pattern that we were following,

we just made sure they looked pretty together and that the smaller ornaments took up any space left by the bigger ornaments.

Before long, the wreath began to take shape.

Then came the hardest part – trying to tie the top of the hanger together (this is where a thinner wire would have been nice).  Good thing that we had a strong brother-in-law nearby to help.

With the wreath done, we just needed a bow to hide the hook part of the hanger.  The hook was necessary as that’s how the wreath is hung, but we definitely wanted it hidden so that it looked pretty.

Thankfully, my mother is an expert maker of bows.  Doesn’t that bow look fantastic?

I tried to tie my own bow, but it didn’t work so well and I had to call in reinforcements.

But the end result wasn’t bad for only an hour’s worth of work.  So if you have extra ornaments lying around from your holiday decorating, you may just want to put them together for this little project.  Or, you could just wait until next year’s after-Christmas sale.  Either way, you’ll be happy with the end result – a beautiful and elegant wreath for the holiday.

The Wife of Odie - January 6, 2009 - 11:12 am

Oh, how I love that idea! I wish I had done one with you guys…

Karen P - January 6, 2009 - 12:25 pm

This is just beautiful. Ihave gone a head and bought my ornaments ans am now in search of an metal hanger. WhenI went my choices were limited to silvers and whites and grays of all shimmers and frosts and clitters. I think it is going to be very pretty. Thank you for the great tutorial. I just love this whole idea. Yours is just gorgeous.

admin - January 6, 2009 - 12:52 pm

WofO- it was so much fun – maybe you and I can make one next year!

Karen – I agree, silver and grey should be beautiful! You’ll have to send me a picture when you’re done!

Joanna - January 6, 2009 - 1:56 pm

What a great idea! I’ll definitely (hopefully) remember it for next year! :) I love that it is simple enough that Julia could help.

erin - January 6, 2009 - 6:21 pm

What a neat idea! This is so up my alley. I am going to have to remember this for next year. I love this. Maybe everyone will get Christmas wreaths for Christmas! :)

Carrie - January 6, 2009 - 7:31 pm

Those are absolutely beautiful!! What a fantastic idea. And you’re right… depending on the colors, this could be used a lot of festive ways.

Alzo - January 7, 2009 - 3:50 am

I love a craft that is simple to understand, easy, quick, and nice to look at. Please remind us of this before next Christmas. Thanks.

admin - January 7, 2009 - 6:57 am

Hi Joanna and Alzo – I’ll definitely have to repost next year to remind everyone to buy their ornaments!

Erin – great idea, would make a nice gift too!

Carrie – I agree, I’m thinking one for Easter might be nice.

seleta - January 7, 2009 - 10:47 am

Wow, Tabitha it looks fabulous!!! Now I’m officially inspired to do this in our home next year.

Mary - January 8, 2009 - 11:02 am

Thanks for the idea – it was a great deal of fun to make and they really are beautiful. I do think, however, that I will add a few smaller ones to truly “fill-in” those spaces between the larger ornaments. I think it’s a great idea from a fellow poster about making one for Easter – that would be a great decoration for that holiday. Perhaps we can use something other than ornaments…thinking here and will report when I get the perfect object to make them. But I AM thinking of gifts for next year for friends. It would be a great project for hubby and I to do together and I could sure use his muscle in binding the coat hangers together at the end of the project!!!

M

Sandy McAllister - January 9, 2009 - 10:20 am

Hi, I looked at your website from PioneerWoman. That is so cool. I bought a bunch of ornaments after Christmas and I think I will make this wreath for next year and a few to give away!
thanks!

admin - January 9, 2009 - 11:52 am

Hi Seleta – good, you’ll have to send me pictures so I can see how it turns out!

Mary – you are right, they were so fun to make. I think next year I’ll space them out a little differently too so cover up any holes. That was the only hard part really.

Sandy – Hi, so good to see you – isn’t it a great idea? That Eddie Ross is so creative!

kent - January 9, 2009 - 5:41 pm

You didn’t think I would look at your blog did you…. You are so wrong. I get on about once a month to see what you guys are doing. I think the wreaths look great. love you …dad

admin - January 9, 2009 - 9:31 pm

Hey Kent – I knew you visited every once in a while, just wasn’t sure when. It’s so good to see you on here! Love you…

amy - January 11, 2009 - 11:21 am

AHA!!!! You STRING them!!! I have tried twice and failed miserably to glue-gun together an ornament wreath in years passed. Can’t believe it never occurred to me to string them! Thanks for the wisdom, I’ll give this a whirl!

Happy New Year!

[...] 23, 2010 by lsiegfried Some of you may have seen this ornament wreath, or maybe this one before.  I even made a similar one this past Christmas. It was super easy and something [...]

[...] a Wreath: Head over to From Single to Married and check out this cute wreath made from Christmas bulbs.  Looks like it would be really easy to [...]