Home Design – Before and After Bathrooms

If there’s one thing I love better than home design, it’s looking at pictures of before and after home designs.  I totally get sucked into those TV shows where they show you what the room looked like before, when it was decorated with bad wallpaper and wood paneling, to how it looked after the home owner spent $20,000 for some fresh paint and modern hardware.

And when I watch TV shows about home makeovers, I’ll sometimes check the Internet for before and after pictures – just to get ideas.  Honestly – what I couldn’t do with a blank check and the right construction company!  Our little bathroom could definitely use a foot or two (or five) of extra space.  But I digress.

Here’s a lovely bathroom that started out with a bright pink that was a little too bright and well, too pink.  Period.

And now the after.  Sleek, elegant, and beautiful colors.  Don’t you just love that tile!

***********************************************

Our next example doesn’t actually look that bad in its “before” shot – I’ve definitely seen worse.  A little bland maybe, and it could do without the black sink, but overall not too bad.

Not too bad until we see the remodel – much better.  Look at that gorgous shower and the cool silver lights.  And I love the French doors in dark wood – beautiful.

********************************************

This bathroom has definite potential with its great light, nice pedistal sink and white tile, but the black walls and lavendar trim don’t do it any favors.

With a little paint, some new mirrors and light fixtures, this bathroom is completely transformed.

**************************************

And now, the best for last.  This bare room looks hopeless but has lots of potential.

Potential that was realized when the designer got hold of it and turned it into this beautiful and modern retreat.  Look at that shower and those floors!!  Definitely an impressive use of space.

So that’s it.  My tour of before and after bathrooms.  Batthrooms that make me drool and dream.  Because you know how attractive drooling is…

If you could, what room would you remodel?

Resources:

HGTV.com

RELATED POSTS:

Things That Make A House Great

So This Is What $4 Million Dollars Looks Like

Dream Home – Getting My Fix

Joanna - February 11, 2009 - 5:38 am

“Honestly – what I couldn’t do with a blank check and the right construction company!”

hahahahaha … to which my husband would respond, “Hey! If we had some peanut butter, we could make a peanut butter sandwich if we had some bread!”

Joanna - February 11, 2009 - 5:40 am

Oh, and I forgot to answer … I’d remodel our dining room. As in, I’d like to have a dining room :) We have the plan, just missing that blank check!

Alzo - February 11, 2009 - 5:40 am

It is amazing what you can do to transform a room with a little money and a lot of imagination. I love those before and after comparisons, too. They are inspiring. Some day, Jennifer.

Patty - February 11, 2009 - 6:34 am

I would just finish the painting project that I started the week after Christmas. Wanted to give an extra bathroom a little facelift – which led to painting the trim, then the cabinets which brought on new hardware. Looked great until we looked at the bedroom next door, so we painted in there and you wouldn’t believe all the projects (in that very room) that has opened up for us!!! February 11 and we’re still not finished!!

thanks for reminding me!!!

Julie - February 11, 2009 - 7:05 am

I live in a rental so no remodeling for me. But I would love to build my own house. My father is a carpenter so it is possible. Now I just need the money and the land….:) I am planning on painting the living room as soon as I have the extra cash. The landlord didn’t spackle well and I am sick of every wall being white. So we are going to beige/tan color.

admin - February 11, 2009 - 7:46 am

Joanna – ha – I hear that!

Alzo – I know, I’m glad there are designers and people who have that kind-of vision. I’m not that great at that part, I just know what I like.

Patty – isn’t it funny how one project leads to another?

Julie – good for you! I love paint because it can totally transform a room without much expense.

the weakonomist - February 11, 2009 - 8:02 am

Is it only me that gets uncomfortable using a bathroom that is large? I feel like it should be private, and so I like something smaller.

That being said I’m a sucker fo before and after shots, except on people. That is usually make-up, teeth whitening, and a trip to the tanning bed instead of actual results of dieting or hair restoration or whatever they’re pimping.

M to T&T&A&D - February 11, 2009 - 8:28 am

I’m with you – love before and afters of rooms, homes, yards. They’re so inspiring and makes you want to tackle something in your own home. I’ve come to realize, while I’d LOVE to do some big projects I can accomplish small things to makeover something. It’s such fun and I get so excited making any change to a room. It’s always within my budget but on the difference in makes to my rooms.

Don’t mis-understand, I could easily go “hog wild” if I have the money to re-do some rooms. My first choice would be out master bathroom. I have some definite ideas what I’d change but all the things I’ve dreamed of are way expensive. So I’ll go to open houses, watch makeover shows, check out the magazines while saving money to one day get the make-over I’m dreaming of.

Briony - February 11, 2009 - 9:00 am

wow that last one is amazing! i would never have pictured the final result. i love it. thanks for sharing!

Robynn's Ravings - February 11, 2009 - 9:04 am

You’re singing my song! I need to do that in every room in my house except my daughter’s bedroom which is almost done. Ahhhh. All the separates me from success is money! Loved the shots and thank you. I enjoy those shows, too.

Kristina - February 11, 2009 - 9:35 am

I love this stuff too! I love watching HGTV for this very reason.

veggiebelly - February 11, 2009 - 10:44 am

You have a wonderful blog! Love the before and after pictures! We live in northern VA and we love DC, so it was great to see your pictures :)

erin - February 11, 2009 - 11:01 am

I love our house and it’s layout so I don’t think there is any room I would specifically “remodel.” I’d do some upgrades if I could though, put in granite counters in our kitchen and master bath, a redo the floor with travertine. I’d also love a frameless glass shower and a jetted soaking tub.

I am addicted to HGTV, especially shows like Design on a Dime where they redo everything – nicely! – on a super budget. Who has thousands of dollars to spend on this kind of stuff? Not me.

Mindee - February 11, 2009 - 12:34 pm

Putting the skirt on the pedestal sink ruined it for me!

Let’s see, what would I remodel . . . um, my whole house?

admin - February 11, 2009 - 12:51 pm

Ha! I love all of your answers! I would have a hard time deciding which room to remodel but it would probably be the bathroom or the kitchen. They both could use some work!

Isabelle - February 11, 2009 - 1:25 pm

We are in the middle of remodeling – could show you some groovy pictures of our kitchen before and after – had to take down 4 ceilings to discover and free the antique wooden logs that hold the ceiling. Care for some pics? Remember that’s the house in Zurich that I wanted to swap during Obama inauguration day

Isabelle - February 11, 2009 - 1:27 pm

And oops, back to your question: If I had the money – but mostly the time at hand – I would go for the house extension that we have planned to do in about 3-5 years.

Jenny - February 11, 2009 - 2:19 pm

I’d definitely remodel our master bathroom. We’re working on it bit by bit as our time and budget permits. We painted it last summer. Just this weekend, we did a new light fixture (will be posting b/a pics on my blog when I get a chance…stay tuned)…and the grand finale will be replacing the countertop and faucets.

Our new light fixture uses CFC lights, which makes our countertops look hideous! Hopefully, the grand finale will come sooner rather than later!

John von Cannon - February 11, 2009 - 4:15 pm

Carol and I are “sneaking” up on our MBR/Bath update! We are ust about ready to finally allow the carpet contractor to show up–he’s been asking us when since November and our answer has always been–just as soon as we finish painting and refitting the bath with new brushed nickel (was an outdated polished brass)hardware, etc. We hope to be finished in the next couple of weeks! If I supply you the before and after, will you posts as a follow up??

Vered - MomGrind - February 11, 2009 - 6:05 pm

Interesting!

Our house is relatively new, so I don’t think I would remodel anything right now. But just like you love bathroom remodels, I love kitchen remodels, probably because the kitchen is my favorite place in a house!

Rachel - February 11, 2009 - 7:11 pm

Holy crap! That last room is incredible!

I’ve been itching to paint my very white bedroom for a couple months now, but there are so many good design blogs out there that I just can’t make my mind up on a color.

the domestic fringe - February 11, 2009 - 7:45 pm

Oh, the next to last bathroom with the white tile and brown walls is my favorite. I LOVE it! I so want a house where I can turn a small room into a giant bathroom. I can go on all night with the “I wants” for my dream bathroom.

-FringeGirl

Amy - February 12, 2009 - 10:26 am

I adore remodelling shows too.

If I could change one room it would be my kitchen. It is the size of a cupboard with no storage. I’d extend it and redo all the surfaces, the sink and storage. I don’t own this house though so I cannot. :(

Carissa - February 12, 2009 - 11:29 am

So totally my kitchen that is stuck in 1920 – it is big enough but needs to be taken down to studs and joists and reworked complete with cabinet and counter space and God knows more than one outlet. The joys of living in a house built in 1898….because if the kitchen was done I have so many more rooms I would then move to!

VeRonda - February 13, 2009 - 10:06 pm

OMG! Yes, yes, yes… I think (well, I know) other than sports networks, I love HGTV. I’m telling you… between you and me (and a few others, I’m sure) Candice is my fave.

Gennaro - February 17, 2009 - 1:56 am

Impressive renovations. I find that renovating the main living area is great. Of course, that differs based on family, but it’s where the bulk of the our time is spent. It’s also nice to keep the bedroom decor fresh as it should be a place of relaxation and intimacy.

JoAndrew - March 3, 2009 - 11:08 am

It will be the bedroom, my bedroom since it has looked that way ever since I could remember. I’ll paint it midnight blue and I’d love to have my own walk in closet. Then next will be the kitchen, then the dinning, then the den or better yet I will have the entire house done… It will be expensive but I think it’s about time to do so.

Siren - May 24, 2009 - 11:58 am

nice collection, where do you pull the before and afters from?

Siren´s last blog post..Insects and yellow leaves

admin@bathroom remodels - October 21, 2009 - 12:04 pm

Bathroom remodeling is a work intensive task and one of the best investment that can improve the value of your house.

But it’s also the time to be creative in your design and decor choices to add drama and inspiration in your surroundings, that improve greatly on your quality of life.

This one aspect of your bathroom remodeling project should not be forgotten in favor of the other.
.-= admin@bathroom remodels´s last blog ..Remodeling Your Bathroom =-.

[...] Home Design – Before and After Bathrooms | From Single To Married [...]

[...] Continued here: Home Design – Before and After Bathrooms | From Single To Married [...]

[...] Home Design – Before and After Bathrooms | From Single To Married [...]