A Little Friday Gratitude – Music Makes Me Merry

We always have music going in our house.  It’s just one of those things.  We both love listening to all kinds of music and we always have.  It’s also one of the few things that we don’t necessarily agree on, at least initially.  The CPA tended to lean towards old school rock-n-roll from the 60s and 70s such as Deep Purple, Grand Funk Railroad and Creedence Clearwater Revival.  Me?  I like everything from the 80s on.  As you can see, there was a gap there.

Thankfully, we’ve found some common ground.  Early in our relationship, it was easy enough to overcome this problem by just limiting ourselves to our own kind of music to when we were by ourselves.  But now that we live together, it’s not always that easy.  Sometimes I’ll pop in the earplugs and hum away to my Fergie and the Black Eyed Peas or No Doubt and other times the CPA will put on his big sound-reducing earphones while he listens to Tommy by the Who (all 74 minutes of it).  It takes work and it takes compromise sometimes, but I have to say that the CPA has been more than accommodating.

In fact, while we were dating, he took me to several concerts that were all my choice: the Indigo Girls, Chris Isaak, the Barenaked Ladies and Lenny Kravitz.   The great thing is that he has not only begun to appreciate this music but has grown to love it.  He loves it so much that for my birthday one year he took us to see Anna Nalick, which was probably one of the best concerts we’ve ever heard.

He’s also introduced me to such useful software tools as Pandora, Rhapsody, and Last FM, which I am listening to right now.  Through their random radio stations, we’ve found new favorites such as Ingrid Michaelson, Natasha Bettingfield, and Nerina Pallot.

I tell you, there is just something about listening to great music.  There’s something even better about listening to it with your significant other, especially after crossing the great musical divide.  Now I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to listen to Steppenwolf without throwing my hands over my ears and I doubt the CPA will ever like Depeche Mode.  But as long as we have some music in common we’ll be able to find something we can listen to together.

What music do you enjoy?  Do you and your significant other have the same taste in music?

Julie - March 13, 2009 - 4:30 am

I am lucky in that my husband and I both like country. However, he also likes things like Southern Gospel and choir music which I just can’t. So he listens to that when he is alone in his truck. Likewise, I like rock and pop once in awhile so I listen to it when he isn’t home.

Joanna - March 13, 2009 - 4:51 am

We’re mainly listening to “I’m a Little Teapot” and “The Itsy-Bitsy Spider” around here since Julia thinks they have a better rhythm for dancing, but we enjoy putting in some CDs and hitting “Random” as well. We’ve got a six-disc changer which means we each get to choose three :)

I love music. I love to have it playing and to sing along with it while I’m cleaning or cooking or just hanging out. The only thing I can’t do is fall asleep listening to it :)

Kristy - March 13, 2009 - 5:27 am

Ha! Ha! We’ve been married for nearly ten years and NEVER agree on music. Justin likes heavy metal. Not me! I like a lot of contemporary Christian music and some country is okay.

M to T&D&D&A&T - March 13, 2009 - 6:07 am

My cop comes from a very musical family. His Mother wrote music, played the organ and her 5 boys all played several instruments. She even trained them all to sing parts and for years they sang together all over the place. Too bad they didn’t become as big as The Osmonds. The cop LOVES music – each time we’re listening, however, you better watch out if it’s a lively tune because he’ll be tapping his hands like a drummer. Many a time when we were dating he’d go from holding my hand to drumming on my arm or leg!! Our tastes, luckily enough for us, is very similar. We love Big Band, 50′s & 60′s, classical, church music and easy listening. I know, I know a bit old fashioned but it works for us. We enjoy going to musicals and love Broadway shows when they come in town.

Having music in your home is awesome. It can help you clean and scrub, lift you up, comfort you and help you show love. Music is certainly sweet to the ears when you love it – so keep the notes playing.

the domestic fringe - March 13, 2009 - 6:22 am

I’m just not a big music person, so I pretty much listen to whatever somebody else puts on. I very rarely put on music if I’m alone. Don’t know why. I guess I just tend to ignore backround noise anyway, so why bother.

-FringeGirl

Angela - March 13, 2009 - 7:22 am

I could come live with you guys. I like everything from what he likes to what you like. I could go from Steppenwolf’s Magic Carpet Ride to Depeche Mode’s Personal Jesus in a whiplash second and keep on trucking to the Go-Gos or Rick Springfield before skipping on over to some old school country! Music is such a huge part of my life. I’m in the middle of writing a blog post about it too!

Mindee@ourfrontdoor - March 13, 2009 - 7:33 am

We listen to most 80′s stuff, contemporary Christian and Garth Brooks together.

Separately I listen to all the rest of the country world while he listens to Metallica and that ilk. (or is it ick?)

Tabitha – there’s no country on your list! Try some Keith Urban or Sugarland to get started.

Robynn's Ravings - March 13, 2009 - 7:33 am

Glad you two found something that works for both of you. Love tends to works things out, doesn’t it?

We are all eclectic over here and listen to anything from 30′s blues, 40′s swing, 50′s country and early rock, 60′s BEST rock, 70′s country and rock and blues, 80′s pop and country, 90-now everything – except rap. Oh yuck, yuck, spit-out-the-word-rap yuck. Alison Krause (absolute fav), Norah Jones, Plain White T’s, Coldplay, some current favs. Kids have brought us into their music and that’s been fun. Keeps us from gettin’ too old and out of touch. We literally have some of just about everything. Love Opera, too!

Sabrina - March 13, 2009 - 8:20 am

There’s very little music that I don’t like. I think I was born in the wrong era though. I love Big Band music, love the 50′s music, my older brother got me hooked on alot of the 70′s music growing up, and I enjoy country, rock, pop, classical and most everything except rap.(but is that music?)

Sarah @ BecomingSarah.com - March 13, 2009 - 8:35 am

HAH! Do we like the same music?! HAH!

Kristina - March 13, 2009 - 8:44 am

We do NOT have the same choice in music. My favorite group is the Dave Matthews Band. My husband came to a concert with me once, and he was SOOOOO bored!!

Briony - March 13, 2009 - 12:30 pm

i’m a big music junkie too…and like you i love everything from the 80′s. I grew up with parents who had supremely different tastes in music (my dad was classic rock and instrumental, where my mom was all about the country), i think has allowed me enjoy listening to almost anything.

how are you feeling, has the sickness left the building?

Amy - March 13, 2009 - 4:12 pm

My wife and I have very similar tastes – in fact we met through a mutual love of Tori Amos.

However, she likes likes more punk, more folk and more ‘sea shanties’ [as I call them] than I do. I have a few indie boys that aren’t her thing.

Thankfully, the big ones for me [Tori and Depeche Mode] are big ones for her too. We’re going to see Depeche Mode again next May and I’m very excited!

Anneli - March 13, 2009 - 10:03 pm

I love pretty much all kinds of music, but my preference lies in rock and metal. :)

My boyfriend doesn’t own a CD, and has never owned one in his life. :O Which is a baffling concept for me. He doesn’t dislike music, he’s just not fazed one way or another, lol.

Alzo - March 14, 2009 - 8:20 pm

I can totally relate to your love of music. My tastes lean a bit more toward the traditional, however. Classical music is the only way to go, even though some of it is hundreds of years old. Still very good today, and there is so much to learn about it. Lots of fun. It is great that you have found a way to compromise.

Janet - March 16, 2009 - 7:53 am

My Dh and I enjoy the same music for the most part. Even tho we’re relatively young for it we love Big Band, classic rock, opera, classical music, country, blue grass, jazz. I could go on and on. We’ve recently started listening to Latin music too. He’s 61 I’m 53 so we’ve got lots of “musical eras” to pick from. Have to say, most music from the 80′s onward doesn’t get us goin’!

Madison - March 17, 2009 - 8:25 am

Music is such a great thing, it can lift you up when you’re sad or jus need a pick-me-up.

I love Natasha Bedingfield too!

Madison´s last blog post..

Colorado radio - October 6, 2010 - 2:09 pm