Dream Home: Nursery

The more the CPA and I talk about starting a family, the more we think about our house and how it will work with our plans.  While it’s premature to design a nursery, of course, I couldn’t help but think about it the other day as we were sitting in our spare bedroom.  I casually mentioned to my husband how, once we have a baby, we’ll have to get rid of all the art work and furniture in the room and how we’ll need to repaint, etc.  He looked at me and said, “why?”

At first I thought he was kidding but quickly realized that he wasn’t.  I was shocked.  Isn’t that part of the fun of having a baby?  Getting to create a space that’s just for the little one?  A space full of soft things, light colors, and sweet smells.  A space that is soothing and comfortable so that you don’t mind spending hours upon hours sitting in it.  A space that just says “baby.”

I’m glad we are having this talk now because it gives me plenty of time to convince him.  But first I need to start getting ideas.  (I found all of these rooms on the HGTV site, just click the link in the title to visit the site.)

FAIRY TALE

First we have the fairy tale-themed room, complete with ribbons, a chandelier and a customized mural.

cinderella

cinderella2

It’s not quite my taste, but it’s very pretty.

CONTEMPORARY/TRADITIONAL

This one is a little more my style.  Still fancy, but I love the colors.  The pink and the brown contrast beautifully and it is a nice mix of traditional and contemporary.

brownroom2

Very pretty room for a little girl.  I especially love the small details like the art work on the walls and the lovely drapes on the window.

brownroom

brownroom3

MODERN

This room is a study in geometric shapes and matching colors.  It is definitely very cool, especially if your taste leans towards the funky.

modern2

modern3

I’m not a 100% sure about the ceiling and the matching wall, but at the same time I find myself strangely drawn to it.  Definitely a great space for a little boy.

PRETTY IN PINK

I have to say that out of the rooms I looked at, this one is one of my favorites.  While I’m not usually a huge fan of pink, I love how they combine it with the lime green, it makes it feminine yet unique.

pinkroom1

pinkroom2

ELEGANT

What a great use of color in this simple and elegant room.  You don’t often see a green this dark mixed with dark furniture for a baby’s room, but it seems to work.  The monogrammed wall as well as the border running under it is a nice touch too.

greenroom2

greenroom1

SERENE

This one is probably my favorite room so far.  I love the colors because they are so calming yet not too bland, there’s just enough color to make it interesting.

serene1

serene2

Something like this would also match the style of our house, and it looks comfortable, which is definitely important.

So we may not need to convert our spare bedroom to a nursery right now, but it’s fun to start thinking about our options.  Or, in my case, to start convincing my husband of the necessity of a new look for the nursery.  Hopefully by the time we need it, he’ll be on board.

What do you think, is a nursery overhaul necessary?  Which style is your favorite?

Joanna - June 30, 2009 - 3:36 am

We went with (somewhat) neutral colors in our nursery and I was really, really glad we did when we heard Number Two would be arriving sooner than planned and would have to share a room with his big sister.

We also decided to paint the walls in a normal room color and have any decorations hang on the wall. My husband made some wooden cutouts that matched the bedding and we hung those on the wall. That way if we move or are in the house long enough for the kids to want to redecorate, we don’t have to deal with Mommy’s emotional attachment to the wall art before we do anything!

I love the Pretty in Pink, but the Serene room is my favorite. Frills are not my style :)

Kristy - June 30, 2009 - 5:26 am

We’ve never gone overboard on nursery decorating. Some pretty non baby curtains and a home made quilt for the crib. When our second baby came along she shares her room with the guest bed. I didn’t have the money to change out the bedding to make it more baby matching. We spend very little time in the nursery. Mostly, baby sleeps there and we have the clothes and changing table there. They are pretty designs, but completely out of my baby budget!

Kristy´s last blog post..Kate-isms

Heather - June 30, 2009 - 5:35 am

Honestly? It was fun doing the decorations for my daughter’s room until she decided SHE didn’t like what I’d chosen. So when our son came along, we barely touched his room, and good thing because he refused to sleep in it. He slept with us until he was 13 months old, and now shares a room with his older sister. For us the nursery was never anything more than a place to keep their clothes and change their diapers; we never spent any time in there playing. And what my idea was of a nursery was very different from the actual function of a child’s room.

Now my kids’ room has all personalized decorations; things with their names on them, because that’s what they like best. I have few toys in their room where they sleep, and a dedicated playroom to keep the fun stuff. That’s what works for our family, anyway. Maybe other moms used and loved their nurseries.

Heather´s last blog post..Tuesday Tidbits, 23-30 June

emilyG - June 30, 2009 - 5:36 am

Please apologize to the CPA in advance for me. :]

ProjectNursery.com

p.s. Jane’s room consists of: gray walls, white moulding and built ins, white sheets, white curtains, and the crib skirt from
this
crib bedding set.

Jill - June 30, 2009 - 5:49 am

I think if/when we have a baby, I’ll definitely want to create a space for baby. And naturally I’m drawn to the girly spaces above :)

Mom of 5 - June 30, 2009 - 5:54 am

What fun looking at baby rooms and dreaming. Out of necessity you have to size the room for a baby: size of bed, dresser that you can have the changing top on, great chair and/or rocker for all those late night feedings or just cuddle times with your little one. Plus the window treatments, you must be able to darken the room so sleep is ensured. Often times in spare bedrooms we have wonderful and elegant curtains or blinds that don’t really afford darkness in the room. Then you get to colors….babies just scream a wonderful choice of new colors to make it interesting and fun for the baby as they grow and develop but you and the CPA will also be spending a lot of time in there and you’ll want it to be inviting, relaxing and comforting too.

So really start convincing the CPA with all the reasons it will be neccesary when the time comes to make some changes and go buy him a really cute painters hat and shirt so he’ll be laughing while he’s painting!!!

My favorites of the the rooms you posted are the Serene and Comptemporary/Modern – love the colors and styles. It will certainly be interesting to see just what you decide will be your colors when the time comes. I do love all the use of names and letters – I think they’re really quite wonderful in the babies rooms. I really loved those large framed blessing dress, baby shoes, what a great way to preserve and display at the same time!!

Sarah @ BecomingSarah.com - June 30, 2009 - 7:25 am

We don’t have a nursery. There we go, I’ve confessed it.

The way we figure it: people did this in caves. It’s not a rocket launch, it’s having a baby, and it’s been done before with alot less than what we have. So we’ve been trying to keep that in mind and keep all the gear to a bare minimum. In fact, we really didn’t buy anything exc Evept the cloth diapers and a few carriers. Everything else was hand-me-downs or came from our baby shower. We figured on putting the baby in our room for however long before moving the kid to the spare room. Maybe by then the urge to decorate the spare room will have overtaken me, but in the meantime? I’m fine being one of those freak shows without a nursery.

Sarah @ BecomingSarah.com´s last blog post..Pet peeves.

The Wife of Odie - June 30, 2009 - 7:43 am

I LOVE LOVE the pink and brown one. Oh, I can’t wait to help you decorate a nursery! Heck, I can’t wait to have my own nursery!!!

The Wife of Odie´s last blog post..sushi got me thinking

Kelly - June 30, 2009 - 7:44 am

I don’t have any kids, but I really like the trend now to buy the bed that “grows” with the kid as it gets older… seems like a great way to go to me, so you don’t have to worry about getting a new bed every few years.

I guess I think most of the rooms above are more for the parents than the kid :) I’m probably too traditional, but I like kid themes, like Noah’s ark or teddy bears or bunny rabbits or Pooh. Makes it more like a kids room than a mini-adult room :)

The Wife of Odie - June 30, 2009 - 7:45 am

p.s. i’m sure once you have a baby the CPA is going to be so glad you have a cute nursery for the little one!

The Wife of Odie´s last blog post..sushi got me thinking

Melody C - June 30, 2009 - 8:14 am

Ok, this is a childless one chiming in! I prefer the Serene room because it requires the least amount of “redoing” if you want to sell your home or use the room for something else. Painting the baby’s name is cute but requires another paint job if you want to sell. Growing up, my sister and I had colorful rooms with Disney character decals (that were somehow easy to take off.)

But I get ahead of myself. In the home where I was born and spent my first 6 years, my room still had Dad’s BIG model airplanes suspended from the ceiling. So, to CPA, you can still have YOUR touches in the room!

erin - June 30, 2009 - 8:22 am

Ohhh we had such fun decorating our nursery. When we were first talking about a baby a couple years ago, we were living in a tiny apartment with barely enough space for us, let alone a baby. We had a (small) walk-in closet, one of the only “luxuries” in that apartment. I told Brian we didn’t need a nursery because we could just put the baby in the closet.

Now, I am so glad we decorated a nursery. It was so much fun creating a space together that would be for our baby. She currently sleeps in a bassinet in our bedroom (at night) but naps in the nursery, and I change her in there, play with her in there, nap in there with her, nurse her in there – it’s just a wonderful place to be. The way we decorated it feels nice to me, and I just love looking around it knowing that it’s beautiful because of the time and effort we put into it.

erin´s last blog post..may be jinxing it

Kristina - June 30, 2009 - 8:35 am

Wow, AMAZING. I wish these were MY room!

Kristina´s last blog post..Hi! Kristina Pulsipher Here For An Awesome Tribute!

Nicole - June 30, 2009 - 9:32 am

I LOVED HAVING A DECORATED NURSERY! I decorated our nursery for Colton and was able to have Asher use it too. It’s so much fun to have complete control of these things….because let me tell you, those days are over! Even when we had a few weeks notice before Kyler’s arrival, we worked very hard and within the first month of his life had an adorable room fit for our prince. Now…they put posters on their walls, don’t want my input and I’m really only concerned with clean, not coordinated and definetly NOT cute!(you don’t get cute with three boys!)

Nicole´s last blog post..HAPPINESS

Cody - June 30, 2009 - 4:45 pm

Along with picking names and celebrating holidays, the nursery is one of the things that makes me ALMOST want a baby. Almost.

I love the contemporary one. Even the husband would like it, since he’s always pushing brown as a decorating or clothing choice… and we both like the demask-style prints.

I think I like the idea of having a more “grown up” room, as opposed to the alphabet wallpaper I had when I was little. I would even decorate my own bedroom or library in that theme…

WJKIII - June 30, 2009 - 9:28 pm

Um… Are you having a girl? The majority are pink. :) We don’t have a nursery, but we do use a neutral room in the house as a “little” kid room. It’s the place where the youngest child (or children) sleep until they are big enough to occupy a room on their own.

Favorite: Love the one with the black furniture.

Heather - July 1, 2009 - 12:29 am

Ooohh, fun topic! I hope I will NOT be designing a nursery any time soon, but I already go crazy designing baby shower gifts, so God help me when it is time to design one!

I really like the one with the trees above, because it really plays with the space and dimensions. Personally, I think it’s a great idea to decorate the ceiling, especially above & around the crib. I know the baby can’t really focus on objects that far, but they can still see the shadows and such. And after all, this is what baby will spend a LOT of time looking at- BUT, it’s back-breaking work to do. Maybe buy some of those wallpaper things, and then just put them up on the ceiling?

Heather - July 1, 2009 - 12:35 am

Oh, and one more thing…
when my soon-to-be MIL had her kids years ago, she made the most amazing curtains (yes, she’s a great seamstress). They are drawstring (I believe you can buy the parts at Joann Fabrics). but best of all, they are lined in mylar for warmth and to keep the light out, and then they have a magnet strip on both sides and she put magnets on the side window panes, so the curtains are sealed shut by magnets and don’t let ANY light in during the day. This way her babies slept a ton during the day too (because they couldn’t tell day from night), and she had more time to get things done & have her sleep & sanity. Genius!

Oh, and I like the idea of a twin bed in the room. This way when you are waiting for baby to fall asleep, you can stay in the room, and you are comfortable enough to crash in a decent place (no aching knees/ neck from waking up in a rocking chair). It also makes for an easier transition to the “big girl bed.”

Alzo - July 1, 2009 - 3:31 am

This CPA dude sounds pretty sensible to me. But, what the heck – I’m a guy. I can see the need to make sure you have all the right stuff in there: crib, changing table, chair, etc. And I am OK with a mobile or two and some interesting photos for the little guy/gal, but there’s no need to drop a couple of thousand dollars on revamping the room. The baby will never know the difference because it will all be changed by the time he/she is old enough to understand.

Carissa - July 1, 2009 - 8:33 am

WOW those are amazing! If I get a second chance at a nursery then I will have to check out HGTV…I love those! But I have to admit I love our current nursery – it is pretty amazing and I designed it all and my mom and I made everything in it so it is special!

Carissa´s last blog post..My first e-book…

Kate - July 1, 2009 - 1:22 pm

I can’t WAIT to decorate a nursery. I love the more modern and serene images you posted above. I’m a self-proclaimed design freak, and an obsessive renovator/decorator, so as soon as I find out I’m pregnant, I’ll be scheming.

Ok, I’ll be honest, I’ve already done some scheming too. I have some colors I love, and even bedding sets I’ve drooled over.

I think creating a personalized space for the baby helps with mentally preparing for this new little thing to become a person. Bring on the paint chips, I say!

Kate´s last blog post..She Says… Overdue

The Educated Neanderthal - July 2, 2009 - 5:27 am

Nice try Alzo!

Carol - July 3, 2009 - 6:27 am

I helped my next door neighbor with a grandchild project. It was a little girl and in pink, white, and black. It was quite stylish. I monogramed the bumper pad. It was a really pretty black/white print with a solid white center section. I did the baby’s initials in a very swirly pink (on white). The sections had pink ribbon separating them. She said she matched the pink to the color of the walls. There are so many beautiful choices out there that I just don’t know how you could choose.

My true interest lies in heirloom sewing and I really want to take a class. My machine will do the work. I just have to know how. Heirloom is the Christening gowns and pillows with lace insertion and lace shaping. Maybe now that your Dad is retired?????

Carol´s last blog post..Honey, I’m home…….

Tabitha Blue - July 3, 2009 - 8:24 am

Ohhh, I’d love a mix between the Contemporary, Modern and Serene… great choices! It’s always fun to plan a nursery… no matter what stage of life you’re in!
~Tabitha

Tabitha Blue´s last blog post..days of summer:: 6

Helena - July 6, 2009 - 3:42 am

I would say some of these rooms are beautiful – but they are probaby more for adults and not so much for children.

I think children would appreciate brighter colours and I’ve read that babies can see colours at birth but they will often have trouble distinguishing similar tones and so therefore it’s easier for them to distinguish contrasting colours.

So I would hang obejcts in happy bright contrasting colours on the walls and in the ceiling to make them interesting for the baby.

Dandy - July 6, 2009 - 6:59 pm

Thank god I’m not the only one who thinks of baby rooms prematurely. I get the Land of Nod catalog which is Crate and Barrels kids store. I have several site I go to for inspiration and mostly day dreaming :)

Dandy´s last blog post..Call me Lady Luck (the diagnosis- part 1)

Madison - July 8, 2009 - 8:15 pm

It’s always fun to look. :)

Madison´s last blog post..

Jessica - August 14, 2009 - 2:08 pm

I’m liking the modern…personally.

kingofnewyorkhacks - August 14, 2009 - 7:41 pm

Usually the kids redesign it in time anyway. Good luck !!

Jennifer @ J. Leigh Designz - August 24, 2009 - 3:33 pm

Hmm, I like the traditional one best! I have a huge baby event coming up on my blog with tons of giveaways including a stroller! Make sure to check it out! They’ll be great pregnancy related items too!

Leyla - September 16, 2009 - 10:18 pm

I just discovered your blog through PW’s blog, and just wanted to say it is totally Fabulous!!

I can’t wait to start reading, but have a feeling that I can easily forget about my other life responsibilities and spend a few days straight reading all of the amazing posts…

Btw, congratulations on the engagement, the marriage & the baby on the way!! So happy for you.

P.S. I definitely like the Serene for the nurser =)

Laura - September 24, 2009 - 7:17 am

LOVE the lime green and pink together. Also, the mural in the first nursery is a great idea!

Hillary - September 29, 2009 - 9:12 am

why don’t men get that we women want to work on the nursery before we even get that positive sign on the stick? my husband and i just moved into a new home and i’m ready to get started on the nursery and my husband doesn’t seem as excited as i am. my nursery style is “i can’t make up my mind” but i prefer the warm colors of serene.

Shininggoober - October 1, 2009 - 6:05 pm

Does the chair rock? If not, you need a rocking chair. And, I suggest that you pick the one that feels most peaceful to you. I wish you joy. Shininggoober

Bobanda - October 13, 2009 - 11:02 am

Found you through Smitten Kitchen post. Love the blog already. My thoughts on nurseries are as follows:

~ My children will be raised to appreciate “ocher” and “melon” instead of just yellow and orange. Why not start from day one? You can easily get a room that screams “adorable baby” without using pink or blue, and without devaluing the room for those who come afterward.

~ I grew up with an oil painting of a dancer en pointe over my bed. It is a piece which I have come to treasure – something I’ll always adore. It has been with me through every sleepless night, every little girl daydream. I guarantee I would not have the same attachment to a Winne-the-Pooh print. Don’t water down the world for baby.

~ A nursery is a temporary habitat. I recommend decorating with things you pull from other places in your house (side tables, baskets, etc.) and pieces which will transition into grown up land easily. Old things can look completely new in a new room, with a new baby.

Those points said, I prefer Traditional (though pink and brown is SO overdone) and Elegant looks listed above. I think the nursery should be a very special place, but doesn’t have to be an overhaul. And remember to be sweet and have two chairs… one for Dad.
Those points made.

Fabien@ Aruba Vacation - December 3, 2009 - 8:41 pm

I recently had a son and your page helped me decorating my sons room. The modern theme that has tyler on the wall is the layout i plan to use. thanks for the great ideas.
.-= Fabien@ Aruba Vacation´s last blog ..Things to do – Palm Beach =-.

Heather - December 6, 2009 - 9:29 pm

Hi there,
I was in Target today and they had the CUTEST wall appliques for decorating a nursery. And the best part is they are not permanent, so as the baby grows, they can be removed and replaced with new ones.

I found them online again by going to target.com and doing a search for “wall applique.”

They even had one that has the pictures and words from the book “Guess How Much I Love You.”
-Heather

jaime - February 17, 2010 - 6:53 pm

While I TOTALLY adore looking at nursery rooms, especially in PB catalogs, I have to tell you that you are crazy if you put that amount of money and effort into a nursery! After having four babies in a row, I can only say that you have to think much more about FUNCTION than style. Buy a nursing chair that is perfect for you, baby equipment which is storage-friendly, and no furniture or accessories that are unsafe or will be outgrown.

Save the money, time, and effort for the ages that the kids want to have some say in how their rooms look. Otherwise you will just CRY when your little girl decides she hates pink, or you end up having to have bunkbeds which cover up the window and cool decorations on the walls =)

Gabriel Ingala - May 12, 2010 - 6:30 pm

It is always nice to find a bit of additional expertise when renovating (or thinking about it). If you are looking for a few really good tips, I suggest looking at Masterrenovator.com, the site is full of great info on things that can help a lot.

Twitted by TabithaFSTM - June 30, 2009 - 3:17 am

[...] This post was Twitted by TabithaFSTM [...]

[...] Dream Home: Nursery Author: admin Categories: Art Work Tags: Art Work, house, husband-how, more-the-cpa, our-house, [...]