Trying to Agree on Art

Everyone’s tastes vary so differently when it comes to art.  Knowing this, I am amazed that the CPA and I have any art work in our house at all.  He tends to go for traditional pieces while I often choose art based on the room in which it is going to be displayed.  Normally we can find a middle ground that leaves us both happy, but our differences have never been more apparent than in choosing pieces for the upcoming nursery.

I don’t know a lot about how the room’s going to look yet, but I do know that I want some unique art pieces in there.  Something that is not too childish but yet still fit for a child’s room, if that makes any sense at all.  We’ve looked at dozens of illustrated prints and none of them have met with our mutual approval. Here are some that were vetoed early on:

This print by Barking Bird Art (how cute is this?)

barking-bird

Or these adorable prints by Tummy Mountain:

tummy-mountain

I can kind-of understand why the CPA didn’t go for these as he is not a fan of cutsie pictures.  I will say though, if we were having a girl, I would HAVE to purchase some of these by RKDesign88:

rkdesign88

But since we’re having a boy and since I want the CPA to continue to speak to me, I went back to my search to find something we both like.  This time I tried to stay away from the whimsical and tried to find something a bit more down-to-earth.  For example this tree, from Lucky Bird Art.

tree

Or these owls, from Yumi Yumi. owls

But again, nothing seemed “just right.”  Until I showed him these beautiful prints by At Whim:

birds2

house1

Finally, we are agreed!  They are simple, adorable, different, and fit for a child.  And the best part is the price – they are very affordable so we can get a few prints to hang over the dresser or the crib or wherever we eventually decide they should go.

Now, it’s on to paint color.  Who knew designing a nursery for a newborn could be so tough?

Would you use art in a nursery?  What kind would you/did you use?

RELATED POSTS:

Bumpity, Bump, Bumper

Dream Home: Nursery

Jessica @ How Sweet - October 2, 2009 - 5:37 am

I love that ‘dream big’ piece – it reminds me of something that was in my room. That is something that can be used for a baby and as the child grows older. Heck, I’d even put it somewhere now! And the one by RKdesign88 is adorable.

Kate - October 2, 2009 - 5:41 am

GREAT selections. Etsy is a treasure trove! I love those Yumi Yumi owls. I’ve favorited them already in the hopes of someday putting them in our nursery. Our house is full of modern print/pop art, and my decorating includes lots of bold colors and patterns. They’ll fit in perfectly.

I love all of the pieces you chose! And the one you settled on is a perfect balance of both of your styles.

The Wife of Odie - October 2, 2009 - 6:03 am

I love all of those prints, but especially the ones you got. They’ll look great!

Genevieve - October 2, 2009 - 6:57 am

I’m a big fan of do it yourself. You’d be surprised what you, a paint brush, a canvas, and a love for this child, can bring out!

I think each of you should do one piece for the room. Be it a small 5×7 or a large 16×20 you’ll be surprised at how much you’ll love what the other one does. You can buy paint based on the colors you’ve already choosen for the room.

Remember my Mother’s Day gift? Not the most sophisticated painting but I adore it.

Amy Deschamp - October 2, 2009 - 7:00 am

Try esty seller singlestonestudios she has a lot of cute designs. I love her whimsical tree for a nursery

Sarah @ BecomingSarah.com - October 2, 2009 - 7:23 am

We don’t have a nursery, but I’m more of a photograph person anyway. That works out well because my husband could care less if I put up an entire wall of family pictures, but he wants to agree on every piece of art. And, well, that is one area that we never agree. I love the more contemporary type of stuff – bright colors, whimsical creatures – and he likes, I don’t know, stuffy flat Italian Renaissance gilded saints stuff.

Kristina - October 2, 2009 - 7:31 am

My husband pretty much hates anything I buy. But I get full power in the house. I tend to go for pretty modern art, and he thinks it looks like a 5 year-old colored it.

Holly - October 2, 2009 - 10:37 am

I love the little birds looking at their little egg :) Sooo cute! The CUTEST nursery I’ve seen is from a fellow blogger. I just loved the giraffe photo in the nursery:
You gotta go through the slide show to get to the pictures of the nursery at the end.

We had my mother-in-law paint a mural to hang in their room. I love it! I am going to feature it on my blog soon :)

Tamara - October 2, 2009 - 12:39 pm

I liked most everything you showed!
I love the use of art. I tend to go towards either paintings with wide brush strokes and lots of color, or very crisp, sharp black and white photograghy (like of barnyard animals or something)

Stephanie - October 2, 2009 - 1:13 pm

OHMYGOSH I love all of it!!

erin - October 2, 2009 - 6:35 pm

I love those little owls!

We have a stained glass piece that a friend made for us as a wedding gift (the colors were perfect) and a cross-stitch piece that another friend gave me as a birthday gift one year. We also have a Noelle Dass print (noelledass.com) that another friend gave us as a baby gift. Her stuff might be a bit whimsical and childlike for the CPA, but I think she’s fun.

Btw, whenever I try to post a comment lately, I get a bunch of annoying messages that your site has all sorts of malicious viruses etc?

erin - October 2, 2009 - 6:36 pm

Oh and I agree with Genevieve, do something yourself. The dresser knobs we painted ourselves, and I love them more than anything we ever could have bought.

Robynn's Ravings - October 3, 2009 - 10:25 pm

LOVE what you chose! Perfect! They were my favs, too!

luisa - October 4, 2009 - 7:00 am

When I decorated my sons nusery I too went in searh for art work, inspirational plaques, soft muted colours etc. Once he arrived, he slept in a bassinet next to the bed. When he started looking around, it was bright primal colours that got his attention. So, even though he was sleeping next to us, I added bright strong colours in his room so that when we played there he would be stimulated. 3 1/2 years have passed and we co-sleep in my bed, he never used his crib and he loves big roaring dinosaurs. My point…dont stress over things because how you decorate the nursery now is primarily for the tours you will give your friends and family when they ask to see the nursery. Your baby will only care about seeing YOU!!!

Heidi - October 4, 2009 - 7:37 am

Etsy is a godsend. I have quite an affinity for birds nests, so you can imagine my delight upon seeing these prints – especially your final choice. I reckon the CPA aint a big fan of Babar the Elephant.

PS. I’m LOVING my cake pan and pan scraper. I’ve already used that little scraper like a dozen times. It works well for getting ridiculously stubborn stickers off other Bed Bath & Beyond goods.

Mom of 5 - October 4, 2009 - 8:17 pm

LOVE the all the prints, especially the ones that were chosen. They’re going to look wonderful. Can’t wait to see them. You’re right, it’s interesting blending tastes but what fun while compromising with one another. You guys are doing a great job with you choices – love watching each choice as you share with us.

Janet - October 5, 2009 - 8:10 am

I love all your choices and especially what you ultimately decided to order.

One thing I noticed a long time ago is that it sure is easier to decorate nurseries and kids rooms today. Imagine having a baby before the convenience of the Internet… Now I won’t go into everything my mom told me about how lucky I was to have Pampers and formula because when I was a baby she had to, “boil” my diapers on the stove and had to prepare that yucky Pet milk in glass bottles she also had to boil to clean just to feed me… But you know what I mean!

Nevertheless, it did seem like five minutes after my time to decorate kids’ rooms was over all the cute decorations started appearing in mass.

I mean, twenty-one years ago when our oldest was a baby, you couldn’t find a cute nursery lamp or artwork for the walls ANYwhere! I felt lucky to find crib sheets with a little cheery print on them! Now, there’s Pottery Barn Kids and you can’t walk through the bedding department at Target without being bombarded by decorating accents meant to fill every square inch of a child’s room.

We didn’t have art in the nursery when our first son was a baby – First, there wasn’t any available (like it is today) and second because we lived in a small California studio apartment, which meant our 1 bedroom served as the nursery too! However, my husband’s best friend’s mother in McLean Virginia sent us two quilts she made for Brandon and one of them, a Noah’s Ark design was so sweet we hung it on the wall over the side of his crib. And that’s what we called nursery art 21-years ago – Ha!

Enjoy every second of this precious time planning for your baby!

the domestic fringe - October 5, 2009 - 2:26 pm

I LOVE your choices! Secretly I kinda wish I could decorate another nursery. I’d definitely do it differently. My hormones ran wild the first two times and I hated how I decorated. I repainted my son’s room before he was three months old and I never actually finished my daughter’s room when she was a baby.

I can’t wait to see your room. I know it will be lovely!
-FringeGirl

Hillary - October 7, 2009 - 4:00 am

i just got a print from Barking Bird in the mail last week and it is even better than what i thought it would be! i ordered 2 other prints from other great artists on Etsy, but I think Genevieve’s idea above is the best – i am going to try to get creative(ish) and make a few things to put on the walls. from birth my children will know that the art gene does not run in our family, but we sure do try hard!

admin - October 8, 2009 - 5:30 am

Update: we ordered those prints and they turned out to be adorable!! I definitely recommend them if you’re looking for something new. And Hillary – I love Barking Bird’s stuff – which one did you get?

Jessalyn - October 9, 2009 - 9:13 am

So adorable. I love them all! The last couple ones were my favorite though.

Laura - October 13, 2009 - 7:06 am

I think you found some great prints. I love the two birds over the nest! That’s easily my favorite.

Unlike Genevieve, I have very little artist in me…but I do love the idea of adding your own touch to the room. Maybe by making a quilt or a cross-stitch for the wall….

Accent Rugs - October 22, 2010 - 9:10 pm

Great read.First trip to your blog. Greatful for sharing. I am going to revisit this website. I was a home decorator for years. My home decor tip of the week is this: Do not clutter a room. Space is essential. Thanks once again!!