Where Has the Time Gone?

I’m sitting here writing this on a Saturday night.  ”But you don’t normally post on weekends,” you may be thinking.  And you would be correct.  But this isn’t an average weekend.  For one thing, it’s Columbus Day weekend in honor of the discovery of the New World.  It’s also a three-day long weekend, which means I get to sleep in on Monday morning.  But the real reason I’m posting today is because it’s my birthday.

That’s right, tomorrow, October the 11th, I officially turn 38 years old.

It’ll be a low-key kind of day – my family and friends will most likely call and bid me good wishes and my husband will probably go out of his way to make it a celebration, which I always enjoy.  In fact, we usually go out of town for the weekend but with everything going on this year, we decided to keep the celebrating to a minimum which means we’re just hanging out at home and enjoying each other’s company.

I used to make a bigger deal of birthdays when I was younger because after all, it’s a day to be grateful to be alive and to think back on everything that’s happened in your life so far.  It’s just that each year I find it so hard to believe that I’m getting old!   It’s tough to realize that I’ve somehow gone from this:

tab-jan-1-1972

to this:

tab2

in practically the blink of an eye.  Where has the time gone?  One minute I’m having my first date and graduating from high school and the next minute I’m married with a baby on its way.

Well, wherever it’s gone, I will say this: I’m glad to have had it, and I look forward to much more to come.

Aren’t birthdays great?

When is YOUR birthday?  Do you usually do anything special for your big day?

RELATED POSTS:

Monday Musings:  Growing Older

The CPA’s Big Day

Birthday Boy

Kristina P. - October 11, 2009 - 9:40 am

Happy birthday, Tabitha! My birthday is in May. I am not a huge birthday person.

Leyla - October 11, 2009 - 9:43 am

Happy Birthday darling! I love your attitude towards birthdays! You are right, it is a day to celebrate the gift of life. May each day be filled with health, wealth, joy & special moments! May you have peace within and always have that beautiful smile on your face!

Hope you get to enjoy this day to the fullest!

I turned a 1/4 century old back in June, and it was definitely a bit of a wake up call… Where has the time gone and wow, am I really almost 30, were my exact thoughts? But then I think that age is truly just a number & I smile knowing that it is how old you feel inside that really matters =)

Have a fantastic birthday again!

Millie - October 11, 2009 - 9:58 am

Aww…happy happy birthday!! My husband is 3 days older than me, so we always celebrate together. Once we went to Mexico over our birthdays, which was great. Usually, though, we get together with our friends on one of the days between our bdays for dinner, and then on our actual birthdays we do something fun for just the 2 of us. Whatever you guys do, I hope it’s a super fun day for both of you!

Andrea - October 11, 2009 - 9:58 am

Happy Birthday!!! I hope you are having a nice relaxing day and that you (and the baby) are enjoying some cake.

I usually like to keep things low key for my birthday. This year we just went out to dinner and watched a movie at home after.

While I know that you will enjoy your future birthdays as a mom, take today to enjoy the last one with just you and the CPA. :)

Hugs and Happy Birthday again!

Sandy - October 11, 2009 - 10:26 am

Happy Happy Birthday Tabitha Dear!! hee hee, taken from my fav Primary b-day song.
Time is going by so fast! I just celebrated my 50th last month and it was one of the best b-days ever. Time has gone by in a flash and the older I get the faster time goes. So make these years with your baby the best ever. I can’t believe my baby, the youngest of 5 children is going to be graduating in May. Here it is Fall already, didn’t it just turn spring yesterday?? Christmas is fast approaching. I better get started before time gets away from me.
Have the best birthday ever!!

Jill - October 11, 2009 - 10:47 am

Happy Birthday!! My birthday is in June. We usually try to do something fun, but if I remember correctly, this past b-day I wasn’t feeling well. Hope you have (are having!) a great day!

Mary - October 11, 2009 - 11:32 am

Happy Birthday! You look so beautiful in that picture! With a litle one on the way, I bet this is your best b-day ever!
My birthday is 2 days after Valentine’s Day…I love it!

Helena - October 11, 2009 - 12:01 pm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Hope you’ve had a great day!! And can I also tell you that you look so much younger than 38! :-) I recently turned 34 and I was absolutely certain you were younger than me. So congrats to aging beutifully! :-)

Carolina Baker - October 11, 2009 - 12:10 pm

Happy Birthday Tabitha! I hope you enjoy it. Usually, hubby and I go away. I did make a pact along way back that I would try not to work on my birthdays in the future – just to punctuate the day with a little more umph. I much rather spend it pampering myself and being with the people I love. But I have realized that it’s not a big deal as long as I’m with the people I love.

joy - October 11, 2009 - 2:04 pm

Happy Birthday Tabitha! Hope you enjoy your day and many many more! My birthday is Flag Day :) and I am not one to celebrate too much. My husband always insists on getting my a gift or two even though I tell him not to. I guess now that I have one child and another on the way, I like to focus on their birthdays. It’s much more fun watching them celebrate and open their presents!

admin - October 11, 2009 - 2:04 pm

Awww… I love reading your comments and what you guys think about your birthdays, it’s really made my day! I just got home from a long day of meetings and playing with kids in the nursery and now I’m going to do my favorite thing these days: take a nap – a perfect birthday gift! Thanks again for stopping by and saying hello – it means a lot!

Mrs. H-B - October 11, 2009 - 3:18 pm

My birthday is November 3. This year I’ll have to put off celebrating until December since I will start my month-long PhD qualifying exams a few days before.

I like to throw my own party–invite people over for cake or snacks–since I LOATHE surprises. I’m all about preemptive strikes.

cher - October 11, 2009 - 3:26 pm

mine is in january. it will be 35 for me. i’m reading through comments and seeing how everyone thinks that the years just get faster..i swear…i would love to slow them down. have a wonderful birthday!

Natasha - October 11, 2009 - 4:03 pm

Happy Birthday! My birthday is September 9th. Usually the birthday person gets to pick where they want to eat and then my mom makes a cake. And we open presents. Hope you have a great day!

Kristy - October 11, 2009 - 5:18 pm

It’s my birthday too! A friend watched the girls so we could catch a movie yesterday, but nothing special today–left over chili, three loads of laundry, and dishes. My little sister called briefly though.

sonya - October 11, 2009 - 6:25 pm

Happy Birthday!! Mine was yesterday the 10th and I am a huuuge birthday person, i make a big deal out of my own and others.

sparkly_jules - October 11, 2009 - 9:01 pm

My birthday is in just under a month; I’ll be 47. I can’t believe it, either. A friend postulated to me that time seems to go faster the older we get because we have more memories and more things to remember, so it seems faster. Makes sense to me.

We don’t do much on my birthday, usually dinner out and a movie. That’s what I like.

October – December are my favorite months, with October being my most favorite, and the month I was married in (both times ;^)

Happy Birthday.

Jules

The Wife of Odie - October 12, 2009 - 5:20 am

oh happy day! the world is a FAR better place with you in it! love you!

Janet - October 12, 2009 - 6:32 am

Happy (belated) Birthday!

You’re right – time does indeed fly and it seems to fly faster the older we get. 19-43 feels like it happened in 3 minutes. Darn!

My birthday is January 9th, and while I know the party is whatever you make it – It has never been an ideal time for a birthday.

People (even family) are over gift-giving since Christmas happens just a couple of weeks before, and retailers are sold out of everything and preparing for the year-end inventory so there’s never anything new on the shelves to choose from.

When I was seven, I accidently discovered where my parents stored all of our Christmas gifts so I was VERY disappointed when I didn’t see the gift I’d seen that I was most looking forward to getting under the tree. When I asked where the Kaufladen, (German for play grocery store) was, my parents told me it was a gift intended for my birthday (after they got mad at me for knowing about it).

Realizing my birthday gifts were add-ons to Christmas was a huge let-down.

Wow! I haven’t thought about that in years!

Any way, while we’re being honest, what’s to like about the weather the first week in January? Especially as a January birthday kid growing up in Germany and later (teen years) in Kansas.

My best birthdays were the 17 years we lived in Monterey, CA because at least the weather was agreeable for a long walk on the beach!

What is sort of interesting about birthdays in our family is this: January, me. February, son #2, March, son #1. And, in April it’s hubby’s turn. So while the boys were living at home there was always birthday cake in the house the first four months of the year!

Enjoy your special week!

kriss - October 12, 2009 - 6:32 am

Happy Birthday!!! My husbands birthday is 10 days before mine so we always plan a joint dinner at our favorite restaurant, Tx de Brazil. My husband also always takes the kids out shopping to get me a few special things. This year the kids got me some costume pearl drop earrings but I LOVE them, and told him I want another pair for when these wear out. He got me a Sephora gift card! -kriss

Tabitha Blue - October 12, 2009 - 6:58 am

Happy Birthday!!! You were a cute little baby… I’m sure yours will be adorable as well!!

olivia - October 12, 2009 - 7:04 am

i did a bday post too. i know what u mean!!!

Sarah @ BecomingSarah.com - October 12, 2009 - 7:30 am

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!! I hope you enjoyed it =) (Sorry I’m late). (Also, you were such a cute baby!)

My birthday is August 6, the anniversary of the bombing of Hiroshima. For some reason, every year people feel the need to tell me that, so I just thought I’d beat the masses to the punch. Anyway, it’s always low-key and more than once Donald and I have forgotten until late in the evening. We’re not big birthday people, I guess. But my family usually makes a cake and some chicken salad and we all have dinner together sometime within a few weeks of my birthday, so that’s nice.

Also, isn’t it weird how it seems like time just passes in the blink of an eye? I feel like I can remember taking naps in elementary school, which obviously must have happened yesterday, or last week at most, but now I have a baby. How did that happen?

Meg - October 12, 2009 - 7:50 am

Happy Birthday, Tabitha! Hope you had a great day. You and the CPA have an especially good reason to celebrate this year! My birthday is this month too — the 24th. I’ll be 37, and I’m thinking the same thing you’ve been thinking about your own b-day — how could that even be so! Anyway, have a good one!

Jessica @ How Sweet - October 12, 2009 - 8:19 am

Happy Birthday! You do not look 38 AT ALL!!

Sabrina - October 12, 2009 - 9:00 am

Hope you had a great birthday! Time just keeps moving faster and faster. I’m 41 but I think age is just a number, what matters most is how you feel inside.

Kate - October 12, 2009 - 9:38 am

Happy Birthday, Tabitha! You have the very best birthday present of all already, and the CPA already gave it to you!

Mindee@ourfrontdoor - October 12, 2009 - 12:27 pm

I can’t believe I missed this! Sorry Tabitha – hope you had a great birthday.

theProvidentWoman - October 12, 2009 - 12:34 pm

My birthday came and went and nobody noticed. But I’m okay with that. I don’t like celebrating my birthdays so much. You can only turn 26 so many times before someone starts to notice.

erin - October 12, 2009 - 3:47 pm

Happy birthday!! I know I am a day late, sorry. We were celebrating Hannah’s 5-month birthday yesterday, obviously Oct 11 is a good day. I hope you had a great birthday.

I love the face you are making in that picture. SO CUTE.

My birthday is May 1, May Day. International Labor Day. I always try to do something extra fun and extra special for birthdays, because that is the only “holiday” during the year that you don’t have to share. My birthday is my favorite day of the year because it is all MINE. I try to make it last all month because really, if you can stretch cake and ice cream and special treats out for an entire month, why wouldn’t you?

the domestic fringe - October 12, 2009 - 3:51 pm

Happy Birthday!!! I think I’m really in shock that you’re 38. You look like you’re 28…seriously. You look amazing! Such cute picts too. I hope you enjoyed your special day.

-FringeGirl

Angela - October 13, 2009 - 8:12 am

Happy belated birthday! I hope it was a GREAT one! :)

My birthday is in July, and this year I turned 30. I also have a sister whose birthday is the day after mine, and we are 10 years and a day apart. Our sister Courtney had a “50th” birthday party (celebrating my 30th and Beverly’s 20th), going all-out on the “over the hill” stuff. I normally am not big on celebrating birthdays, just a movie and dinner out is good enough, but this party was so much fun! ;)

Jenna @ Newlyweds - October 13, 2009 - 9:52 am

Happy Belated birthday, your just beautiful!! Time flies when your having fun!

Tamara - October 13, 2009 - 1:43 pm

This is a little late, but HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Heidi - October 22, 2009 - 6:53 pm

Happy belated birthday! That expression in your baby photo is priceless. You look like you’re at a town hall meeting, griping about taxes and useless government spending. :)
.-= Heidi´s last blog ..Want to get dismissed from jury duty? Possess cognitive skills. =-.

Lindsey - November 13, 2009 - 10:16 pm

I know I’m a little late to the game on this one but…I’m shaking my head in awe & disbelief. I thought you were around the same age as me – 27 or 28…maaaaaybe 30 because you are more mature than me and have nicer hair, dress better & your makeup always looks very nice :) You look aaaaaamazing. Seriously. Amazing.