Henry’s Big Day

You may remember that a few weeks ago I was preparing for Henry’s baby blessing (or christening as some faiths call it).  I know it’s different for every religion, but in our church, the baby blessing is a time for the baby’s name to be noted and recorded for church records and for him/her to receive a blessing.  This happens when the person giving the blessing, usually the father, says a prayer that introduces the baby by his/her full name and then he asks the Lord for special blessings for the baby.

It is a special ordinance and one that we were looking forward to sharing with our family and friends.  My parents flew in and drove up from Georgia and my aunts and cousins who live in a neighboring town drove over for the day.   Since my sister was having her son Drew blessed at the same time, her in laws and sister-in-law were also in attendance.  With all of us seated together, we took up two entire pews in the chapel.  It was awesome.

The blessings themselves went very smoothly.  They were beautiful and sweet and both babies did a fantastic job by not crying  during them.  After the prayers were finished, each proud father held his baby up for the congregation to see before returning to their seats for the rest of the service.

Afterwards we took pictures.  Lots and lots of pictures.  We started with the entire group first, not including friends (those came next).

group photo

(Thanks Marnie, for taking such great shots – especially this next one of my two best guys, it’s one of my favorites!)

CPA and Henry copy

After pictures, the CPA and I stayed and chatted for a bit but couldn’t visit long because we were having an open house and needed to get ready.  So we headed home and set out the refreshments.  BTW – if you haven’t tried the muffins from the bakery shop at Costco, I highly recommend them.

food copy

Before long, people started piling in.

food2

I think it’s a real testament to our friends and family  that they were willing to be squished into our tiny little house.  All 25 of them.

group

Yes, I was even there.

Ben and Tab

We took advantage of having everyone in one spot by taking family pictures.  Here is my dad and step-mom, aka Papa John and Mimi Tutz, holding Drew.

Dad & Carol

It wasn’t until after they left that I realized I didn’t have them hold both babies at once.  We have pictures of them holding Henry over by the window instead.

dad and carol2

My brother-in-law’s parents were in town all the way from Missouri.  I love this picture of them holding baby Drew.

Odie & parents

And we can’t forget the other proud parents of the day- my sister and her husband and their new son.   Beautiful, I tell ya.

Tracy & Odie

Last, but most certainly not least, my mom and step-dad (Nana and Grandpa K), who had flown in from Georgia.  This time I actually thought to have both babies together.

mom & Kent

Drew was wearing his “back-up” outfit as this shot was taken post blow-out.

mom & kent2

(What are you going to do?   Babies will be babies and thankfully white clothes can be cleaned.)

Speaking of white clothes, it’s time to present the boy of the hour in all of his finery.  I had a tough time deciding on the outfit as you will recall, but I am happy with the one we chose.

Henry2

We went with the three piece suit – the pants, shirt and jacket as well as the matching hat.  I was quite pleased with the quality and craftsmanship of the handmade outfit and it was simply beautiful.  We got it from a company called Baby Beau and Belle.  They were wonderful to work with and tried hard to made sure that we got the best fit and that it arrived on time.

henry3

The cute little hat even managed to stay on all day long.  And the shoes, which we bought from Nordstroms, matched very nicely.

shoes

Henry had his beautiful white blankets (thank you to both Auntie S. and Dad), bib and hankerchief with the date and his initials embroidered on it (thanks Mom!).  All were lovely and will be treasured for years to come.

blankets copy

Since everyone was together, we tried to get pictures of the babies side-by-side, but it seemed like they took turns fussing so their together shots are few.  But still cute.

Henry & Drew copy

the boys

I sure love those boys.

It ended up being the perfect day.  Friends, family, food, sweet babies, beautiful blessings, adorable outfits, lots of memories… who could ask for anything more?

Kristy - May 14, 2010 - 4:49 am

Henry was quite handsome, but can I say I just love the pictures of the boys together. They are so sweet. And it shows just how quickly they grow! It’s so wonderful that you all could have their blessings together.
.-= Kristy´s last blog ..Half a Year! =-.

Jana - May 14, 2010 - 6:40 am

He looked so handsome!
.-= Jana´s last blog ..Sew and Tell =-.

Nicole - May 14, 2010 - 6:44 am

What a happy day! Henry looks so handsome and BIG next to Drew. The last photo of the boys is the best!
.-= Nicole´s last blog ..MOTHER’S DAY TEA (KINDERGARTEN) =-.

admin - May 14, 2010 - 6:47 am

Thanks you guys – he was very handsome indeed. And Jana – it was so nice to meet you (what a small world it is!). Nicole – you’re right, he does look so big beside him, eight weeks makes a big difference in baby time. :)

Kristina P. - May 14, 2010 - 8:41 am

Oh, he is beautiful!
.-= Kristina P.´s last blog ..Hey Mickey, You’re So Fine, Hey Mickey! =-.

Sabrina - May 14, 2010 - 1:28 pm

Almost too precious for words! Thanks for sharing!

Kristen Bieber - May 14, 2010 - 1:57 pm

So Sweet!

Mom of 5 - May 14, 2010 - 2:49 pm

It was a wonderful day and we’re SO glad to have been there with ‘the boys’. How very precious they both are and they looked so handsome. These are great photos of both boys and all the family and friends. You’re right, nothing could have been better. Nana & Grandpa K are very blessed grandparents and parents to have such wonderful grandsons and daughters!!!

Mary - May 14, 2010 - 3:48 pm

Too precious for words! Congrats on the big day!

Tracy - May 14, 2010 - 5:22 pm

Ok, my son looks TINY! I love those photos. What a great day. Even if it was two-weeks post labor and I still look pregnant :)

lou - May 15, 2010 - 7:56 am

LOOK PREGNANT…I think you need new prescriptions. You all look fabulous. What a wonderful family and how lucky for the boys to have each other as life time friends. Henry definately has his dads height and his moms beauty. Congratulations again.

Mindee@ourfrontdoor - May 16, 2010 - 7:11 am

How special to be able to share the day with your sister. Although Henry looks like he could clobber Drew. :)

Love the outfit you chose for him!
.-= Mindee@ourfrontdoor´s last blog ..Pants On Fire =-.

Jill - May 16, 2010 - 8:00 am

These pictures are wonderful, Tabitha! I think it is so amazing that you and your sister had babies so close together. What lucky little cousins they are!

Tasneem R - May 20, 2010 - 4:22 am

I cannot adoring the pictures of your boys !! Congrats !
Your sister and her hubby with the little baby are looking just awesome .

Here’s a site http://www.3smartcubes.com having Phd certified Parenting Tests . Here one for you -
Caring For Newborn Infants – This test finds out how good are you at caring for newborn infants.
.-= Tasneem R´s last blog ..Friends.. =-.

Tasneem R - May 20, 2010 - 4:24 am

I cannot stop adoring the pictures of your boys !! Congrats !
Also , the picture of your sister with her hubby and the little baby is looking just awesome .

.-= Tasneem R´s last blog ..Friends.. =-.

Emily - June 3, 2010 - 12:22 pm

So Sweet!

Vicky - March 18, 2011 - 12:19 pm

Hi Tabitha! Where did you find that beautiful little hat? My son’s baptism is coming up and I’m having trouble finding something as cute! Thanks!

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Tabitha. Tabitha said: New post: Henry's Big Day (http://www.fromsingletomarried.com/2010/05/13/henrys-big-day/) [...]

[...] Henry’s Big Day | From Single To Married [...]