Just Blurb It!!

August is right around the corner and it will mark our three year wedding anniversary.  In honor of the momentous occasion, I finally did something I should have done years ago – I put together our wedding album.  Now I could have gone the expensive route and paid $1,000 to have a special book made with Italian leather and all the trimmings.  But considering we were on a strict wedding budget at the time, I decided to veto that option.

Instead, I ended up using a company called Blurb which allows you make your own photo books for a fraction of the cost of a professional photo album.  And the cool thing?  It still looks professional!

It’s not perfect, mind you.  The print on the cover turned out a little darker than I would have wanted, but the pictures are crisp and clear and the paper is nice and thick.

To get started, I just downloaded the Blurb software onto our computer.  Then I uploaded all of the pictures that I thought I’d want to use.  (One downside to this: the book and the pictures are not stored on Blurb’s server meaning that you cannot upload it and then work on it from any computer.  Instead, they are saved onto whatever computer you have saved it on.  Not a huge issue unless you have multiple computers and want to have remote access.)

Once the software and pictures were loaded, I had to decide on the size of the book as well as the shape.  The one that we chose was the standard landscape (10 x 8 inches) but we could have gone as small as 7×7 or as large as 12×12.  There’s even the option of having the cover picture printed directly onto the book itself or using a book flap we ended up using.

Next came the fun stuff – creating each page.  I began with a table of contents which I wrote over a photo of our flowers.

The format was great because I was able to include text like this in addition to the pictures.  It was a super easy way to give all the details that I knew I would someday forget such as what kind of wedding cake filling we had and what we served as an appetizer.

Blurb offers dozens of templates to choose from so that each page could have either one photo, ten photos, or none at all.

This is great because it allowed me to be creative and

to make each page unique.

Not only that, but I was able to use every single picture that I had from our wedding, even the non-professional “fun” shots that I wasn’t sure how to use but knew that I didn’t want to throw away.

I was able to choose the color of each page so I switched from red to black and back again.

It added a little bit of color but still kept it looking nice.

At the end of the book, on a plain black background, I listed the names of all the songs that were played throughout our special day.  I also wrote out what was said during the ceremony so that we would have a record of it.

Altogether, the book has almost 220 pages in it.  It includes over 500 pictures and dozens of lines of text.  Overall I am very pleased with how it turned out and I would definitely use Blurb again.

Is it the same quality as the $1,000 book we could have bought?  No, probably not.  Is it worth the $62.00 that I paid for it?  Absolutely!

** Wedding pictures taken by the talented Mindy K. Best of MK Best Photography.

Have you ever made a photo book?  Which company/software did you use?

RELATED POSTS:

It’s About Time!

What to Do With Wedding Pictures?

Alisa - June 14, 2010 - 9:19 pm

Good for you for putting that together! It looks beautiful, and what a great keepsake. :)

Jessika - June 14, 2010 - 9:30 pm

Would you please make mine? :)
.-= Jessika´s last blog ..Coveting what I can but cannot have. =-.

admin - June 14, 2010 - 9:44 pm

Ha! Jessika – sure, as long as you know it might take me another three years! :)
And thanks Alisa – it’s so nice to finally have it done!!

Kristina P. - June 14, 2010 - 10:45 pm

I am lame. I have like 4 pictures.
.-= Kristina P.´s last blog ..Casual Blogger Conference Roundup =-.

Carolina Baker - June 15, 2010 - 5:02 am

Wow! Sounds amazing. Now how did you remember what songs were played and what was said? I got married three years ago in May and I don’t even think I remember the first song, aside that it was Latin and that my husband and I broke the dance floor for everybody. (I got married in Colombia).

I think I just figured it out – Did you video tape it? ;)
.-= Carolina Baker´s last blog ..Touring NYC and Writing A Diary Entry =-.

Kate - June 15, 2010 - 7:03 am

Tabitha, it looks beautiful! We couldn’t stomach the #1200 price tag of a “coffee table book” from our photographer either, but luckily my husband is a Photoshop wiz, and we both have a very acute sense of design, so we put our powers together and created our book from scratch. We laid out each page in Photoshop and then printed it using the Apple website (the book program that comes with iPhoto). The printing looks lovely, and although it took a LONG time to get the book together, I absolutely adore it. For $40, why not? We got one for each of our parents as well :)
.-= Kate´s last blog ..She Says… Childbirth Class =-.

Sara - June 15, 2010 - 7:11 am

We just celebrated our first anniversary and my wedding photographer sent me an email asking where are my photo selections for our book that we have ALREADY PAID FOR! I can’t believe I put it off this long. I told her I am ashamed of myself and that I’m setting a deadline for the end of this month. Now I just need to lock myself in a room and get it done!
Your book looks beautiful! I have created similar books in the past using MyPublisher. I believe they are quite a bit more expensive than what you quoted from Blurb, though.

Sabrina - June 15, 2010 - 7:38 am

So beautiful Tabitha!

We used Snapfish to make a book of the photos my son took on his school trip to New York last year. We liked it so much that we used them again to make one for the boy my husband has mentored for the last 5 years for his graduation gift this year. He played both football and basketball for our school and my son is the yearbook photographer so I asked him to take extras of him the last three years. We had an extra one made for his mom too. They LOVED them!

Now I just need to make one for myself sometime! :-)

Julie - June 15, 2010 - 8:03 am

Oh my gosh – I LOVE this!! Your book looks awesome and I am totally taking note of this so that I can make a book or two of our wedding pics next year! (the professional photographer books are INSANEly expensive, I know!)

Mom of 5 - June 15, 2010 - 9:24 am

Love Blurp and this labor of love looks amazing in just the few shots shared. Can’t wait to see the entire book!!! So glad you’ve completed it and that you added all the “little” facts that you do forget in years to come but add to the precious memories of your very special day. It was a wonderful wedding and we treasure every moment. You truly were a beautiful bride and this wedding book will be a treasure for you and your family!!! Love, Mom

admin - June 15, 2010 - 9:30 am

Caroline – ha! I actually have all the names because they were in my playlist on my iPod. :) They’re still there actually, since I haven’t updated my playlist in three years!!

Kate – I’m impressed, I’ve not used the Apple software yet but am curious about it. They offer so many great products and I don’t know how to use half of them!

Sara – don’t feel bad! I had already paid for my large wedding pictures (the ones we framed) and it took me two years to order them. My poor photographer had to keep emailing me every six months or so until I finally did it!

Sabrina – I’ve heard good things about Snapfish too. And I’ve been wanting to try Shutterfly because they always have good deals and freebies listed. I just love that these things are so easy to create – if I can get the time, I plan on making ones to cover our Honeymoon and now the baby. Of course finding time is the key… :)

Chantelle - June 15, 2010 - 12:39 pm

My best friend is a photographer, and as a wedding present to us she did all our photography. Because she was expecting her first baby about a month after our wedding, I asked her if I could make the album myself – she was more than happy to oblige! She recommended Blurb to us and I’m so happy we went for them – our album turned out wonderfully. We were able to afford enough to give copies to both sets of parents for Christmas this last year. We’ve still not got any large prints of photos though which would be nice.

P.S. Just happened to stumble across your website through searching LDS blog on Google – lovely site you have here! :)
.-= Chantelle´s last blog ..Chewy Flapjacks =-.

the domestic fringe - June 15, 2010 - 1:52 pm

This photo book looks beautiful! In the past I enjoyed scrapbooking, but not so much anymore. I just don’t have that kind of time. I also hate that all my photos are stored on my computer and I NEVER print any, so I’ve been thinking about making photo books online. I love this idea. I think you’ve convinced me. Now where to start? ;-)

-FringeGirl

The Wife of Odie - June 15, 2010 - 5:21 pm

wow-that book turned out great! i can’t wait to see it in person. and you too :)

sparkly jules - June 16, 2010 - 9:00 am

OMG, that is fantastic!! And so much more painless than doing it by hand! This October is our 4th wedding anniversary, and aside from ten shots I put in a photo album…it’s not done. I think I’ll do this instead!!! Thanks for putting this up. It’s beautiful!

Jules
.-= sparkly jules´s last blog ..When Hubby Came to Town… =-.

Making my Mark - June 19, 2010 - 11:53 am

That looks awesome!
.-= Making my Mark´s last blog ..Misconceptions about Disabled People =-.

Photography by Lori Brady - June 25, 2010 - 4:18 am

Nice job! I have been making BRIDE books on Blurb for several years now. I am an amateur photographer who does about 7 weddings a year for friends and family, and thanks to BLURB my business is taking off. I refer them to my photobooks and they sell themselves. I love the fact you can view the “whole” book or just 15 pages…I can show off a little or a lot! The prices can’t be beat, and the quality has ALWAYS been excellent, with the exception of only one of my books turnin out a tad darker than I wanted… I LOVE BLURB!!!

admin - June 29, 2010 - 4:29 am

Lori – that’s great that Blurb has been helping your business too. I think people (new brides specifically) are tired of having to pay high prices just to have a nice wedding album. They’re definitely looking for alternatives and Blurb seems to fill that need!

Andrew Pelt - July 4, 2010 - 12:43 pm

Sorry for the huge review, but I’m really loving the new Zune, and hope this, as well as the excellent reviews some other people have written, will help you decide if it’s the right choice for you.

Josh - August 5, 2010 - 4:12 pm

Thanks for this post, very interesting! :)

Mr. Peanut - June 17, 2010 - 11:16 am

[...] Just Blurb It!! | From Single To Married [...]

[...] a little more inspiration? Read this blog post by Tabitha, a Blurbarian who put her book together three years post-wedding (proof that it’s [...]