5 Going on 13

Five months that is.  It’s been five months to the day that I popped out this little boy who has become the center of all of our attentions.  In honor of the blessed event, Henry willingly obliged to a photo shoot earlier this afternoon.  I am amazed to see the differences in him over the past few months – he’s growing up so fast!

To look at him, you would think that he was much older.

In fact, I often get looks of shock and awe when I tell passersby that he’s only five months old.  ”You’re kidding me!”  they declare.  ”There’s no way he’s only five months!  He’s so BIG!”

I’m never quite sure how to respond to that so I usually just blame it on the CPA.  But I think I might start carrying around a copy of his birth certificate so that I can whip it out and show it to people before they even ask.  It will save a lot of time that way.

I don’t blame them for their comments though.  He is rather large for his age as evidenced by the fact that he’s currently wearing nine to twelve month clothing quite comfortably.

I guess that’s why people are probably surprised to see Henry still doing the ‘ole head bobbing thing.  You know what I’m talking about – the head weaving movement that little tykes make as they attempt to strengthen their not-quite-developed neck muscles.  Henry’s much better now then he was just a few weeks ago, in fact he has very good neck control for his age, but people still expect more because of his size.

They’re probably surprised, too, that he isn’t crawling on the floor by now.  I tell them that I’m not rushing anything and that he’s very evolved (at least in my mind) for being only five months old.  In fact, in my mind he’s practically perfect.  I often ask the CPA, “Did you just see that?  Did you see how Henry rolled from his front to his back ALL BY HIMSELF?”  The CPA usually humors me and says “Yes, honey, it’s amazing!” knowing full well that Henry’s been doing that same thing for the past two weeks.

This is just one of the many wonders we’ve been able to witness as he’s grown.  But in spite of all of his achievements and his progress in these short five months, I know that he is still just a baby at heart.

I know because he laughs very easily at most any unusual sound or funny face.  He even smiles at us after he first wakes up which is such a treat, especially if a dirty diaper greets us from the other end.

I also know because like any small child, he loves to play with his toys while at the same time, he often spends long minutes doing nothing but staring at his hands.

So yes, he still has a long way to go and is still very much a baby, but he’s a big baby.  In fact, I sometimes forget that he’s only five months old.

It’s a good thing I carry around that birth certificate to remind me.

Mom of 5 - July 8, 2010 - 7:29 pm

These are positively beautiful shots of master Henry. Happy 5th month birthday buddy. We just love seeing your smiles, those big blue eyes and the hat. On my, Grandpa K. just loves the hat. (you’ll quickly learn just how much he loves wearing hats himself) Thanks for sharing all these great photos of our precious Henry. Love you all!!!

Joanna - July 9, 2010 - 12:12 am

Love the pictures!!

It’s so easy to forget how young they are because it’s so hard to believe they haven’t been in our lives forever! (Not sure of the grammar of that statement, but you get the gist :P )
.-= Joanna´s last blog ..In Their New Room =-.

The Wife of Odie - July 9, 2010 - 3:25 am

oh how i love, love this little boy! and those photos! and that hat! that is the cutest hat!!! can’t wait to hug on him!

Genevieve - July 9, 2010 - 5:50 am

Before you know it he’ll be five years. Time flies. Hug him lots and lots and bring him over to play! :-)

Mindee@ourfrontdoor - July 9, 2010 - 6:23 am

I had that same issue with my big babies. When they got to toddler/preschool age sometimes people would expect them to talk or act like older kids and thought they were babyish brats because they didn’t. It would make me so mad! I should have carried the BC too!
.-= Mindee@ourfrontdoor´s last blog ..Detassling Defined =-.

Sarah @ BecomingSarah.com - July 9, 2010 - 8:08 am

Happy five months!!

We have the same issue. Charlotte is solidly in 2T clothing right now and she’s not quite one. I blame it on Donald too. She wasn’t as big as your Henry at birth, though, and we’ve already run the gamut on stupid comments already, so I can only imagine what you’re up against. Oh well. I just keep myself happy by imagining a family portrait in thirty years where I’m a head shorter than everybody and proud as proud can be =)
.-= Sarah @ BecomingSarah.com´s last blog ..Heart melt =-.

admin - July 9, 2010 - 8:24 am

Thanks guys, we think he’s pretty cute too!

And Sarah – I forgot that you’re going to be dealing with that too given Donald’s height. I worry about Henry being the tallest in his class or feeling like he’s too gangly and skinny (I’m sure he’ll reach that awkward phase at some point) but in the end, I think he’ll be glad that he’s tall. People will definitely look up to him! ha!

Nicole - July 9, 2010 - 8:56 am

Love all the photos!!!!! And get used to people making comments….it won’t end for a long time. Our youngest is on track to be 6’5″ and people have made many comments in his 6 years of life. People always think he should be able to do more, talk better, etc. Now he’s the one to tell people….I’m just six! Enjoy your BIG boy!
.-= Nicole´s last blog ..GRADUATION- =-.

Megan | And Baby Makes Three - July 9, 2010 - 10:21 am

Is he the new model for BabyGap? Adorable! And don’t worry about him being too big, Caleb is long for his age and has been wearing 6 months clothes since 2 months. Just means that they’ll be tall and handsome when they grow up and will drive all the girls crazy!
.-= Megan | And Baby Makes Three´s last blog ..The older you get- the more love you have to give =-.

Frenchy - July 10, 2010 - 2:06 am

SO sweet! What a good looking boy :)

Happy Nappy Bride - July 10, 2010 - 8:15 am

Cute pics…and what a cute little shirt he’s wearing too!
.-= Happy Nappy Bride´s last blog ..Why marriage =-.

Erin - July 10, 2010 - 11:47 am

What beautiful blue eyes!!

Owen is also a “bruiser” as my pediatrician called it. Love it!
.-= Erin´s last blog ..a change will do you good =-.

the domestic fringe - July 10, 2010 - 1:53 pm

He’s like a little man! Just beautiful.
-FringeGIrl

Carolina Baker - July 10, 2010 - 1:55 pm

He’s so adorable!!! Happy Five Months!!!
.-= Carolina Baker´s last blog .. =-.

admin - July 10, 2010 - 5:47 pm

Thanks – I love that shirt, it’s a little too big as it’s up to 12 months, but it’s so cute I had to go ahead and let him wear it! ps – it’s from Old Navy!

Jenna @ Newlyweds - July 12, 2010 - 6:26 am

Great pictures he is so very cute, big boy for sure, but baby at heart. Tell him to slow down there is no rush, lol! If only I could tell my 2 to slow down also, they just grow to fast, seems like yesterday they were that size.
.-= Jenna @ Newlyweds´s last blog ..Menu Plan Monday =-.

Annemarie - July 12, 2010 - 10:06 am

He’s so cute! In the picture where he’s sitting up he looks like he’s a little lumberjack with a “strong man” pose.

Hillary - July 20, 2010 - 11:24 pm

Aww… Henry’s such a cutie! And yes, he IS big!

Anne - July 22, 2010 - 9:43 am

He’s simply GORGEOUS!!! Will probably turn into those handsome tall football player types :) . I think his size is part of his charm!
.-= Anne´s last blog ..Beautiful &amp High Maintenance =-.

White Flower Girl Dresses - September 22, 2010 - 8:10 am

Pretty perspective post. Never thought that it was this trouble-free after all. I have spent a great deal of my time looking for someone to explain this topic clearly and you’re the only person that ever did that. Kudos to you! Keep up the great work!

White Flower Girl Dresses - February 17, 2011 - 6:36 am

I really loved this post. You explain this topic very well. There are many treasured moments in life, why not wear a stunning dress! When looking back on special memories of your child wearing a gorgeous dress, it will put a smile on your face.