Rite of Passage

You’ll have to pardon me today if I seem a bit incoherent or if my typing is somewhat sloppy.  It was a tough day yesterday due to these two little white things:

Yes, they’re exactly what they look like – TEETH.

We should have known they were coming since we’ve seen a lot of drool lately (notice the chin and the wet shirt).

There’s also been a lot of gnawing of the hands, feet, and pretty much anything else that will fit into his mouth.

Even still, we didn’t think he’d get two at one time  - you’ve got to feel for the little guy.

I would imagine that it’s quite painful.  That’s probably why he did a fair amount of crying and giving me blank stares like this.  It’s sad because he’s normally quite cheerful and happy but he just wasn’t himself.

Good thing Daddy was there to help comfort him.

I know it’s a rite of passage and that everyone has to go through it, but it’s been a while since I’ve experienced it myself (try 38+ years), and I could sure use some advice.

How do you help a little one who’s teething?

Kristina P. - July 21, 2010 - 7:37 pm

He doesn’t look too uncomfortable yet!
.-= Kristina P.´s last blog ..Blog Post Redux =-.

admin - July 21, 2010 - 7:45 pm

Kristina – yeah, it’s not too terribly bad yet. He’s just been really fussy when he’s usually not and he had a slight fever and was acting out-of-sorts which is not like him. Then again, if that’s as bad as it gets, I’ll count us lucky!

Natasha - July 21, 2010 - 7:54 pm

Even though I don’t have babies, I did babysit a lot. Cold/frozen chew toys seem to help with children I know. He’s quite cute and hopefully he won’t be in too much pain!
.-= Natasha´s last blog ..Spaghetti with Zucchini and Yellow Squash =-.

sherene - July 22, 2010 - 12:40 am

Hi, you have nice blog..it took me two days to read it from the start I can still remember when my son was at his age, its so hard looking at your baby so helpless..but like you said its a rite of passage.
And he’s the cutest, treasure every moments.
I’m Sherene, if you have spare time ( i know how busy you are) you can know me better at http://www.mylifeneverbeeneasy.blogspot.com
If you consider having a blogger friend all the way from the Philippines.
Consider me a fan of yours, thanks.

The Wife of Odie - July 22, 2010 - 3:39 am

try giving him chocolate milk, that always makes me feel better :) actually, i remember looking this up recently and reading that nothing really helps them except if you rub their gums ???

Eryn - July 22, 2010 - 5:25 am

Jack got all his teeth in sets of two…but not Lily. Oh no. She is getting SIX at a time. SIX. One month ago she had zero teeth. She now has 5, with one more almost in. It is unreal.

Eryn - July 22, 2010 - 5:27 am

Also, we got some teething rings from Target and froze them…they seem to help!

Joanna - July 22, 2010 - 5:40 am

We used these little teething tablets … I remember they had Tigger and Pooh on the label and were sold at CVS and Walgreens (probably at Kroger and Wal-Mart and Target as well, but I never bought them there). They were called “Homeopathic Teething Tablets” and seemed to help without the Tylenol Stupor. Sorry I can’t remember who made them.
.-= Joanna´s last blog ..Yall =-.

admin - July 22, 2010 - 6:34 am

Ha! T – the CPA seconded your suggestion of chocolate milk because it always helps him feel better too. :)

Joanna- I haven’t heard of those before, I’ll have to see if I can find them.

Eryn – Wow, six! And I thought two was bad! Poor baby, she must have been miserable (I’m guessing mommy probably wasn’t happy either).

Julie - July 22, 2010 - 8:37 am

Teething tablets are fairly easy to find. Just check in the baby section of your drugstore or Wal-Mart. I personally think they are better than Tylenol. I am of the camp of people that think that giving babies/children Tylenol for simple things like teething isn’t really good for them. I’d save the Tylenol for if the fever just gets to be too much. And the cold toys do work. And if you don’t find the orange drool, a cold, peeled carrot works pretty well too. :)
.-= Julie´s last blog ..But I Dont Even Own A Frilly Apron =-.

Mindee@ourfrontdoor - July 22, 2010 - 12:36 pm

I think you should rub brandy on the gums. YOUR gums that is. :) Oh shoot, you don’t drink do you? Sorry – I’ve got nothing for you then.
.-= Mindee@ourfrontdoor´s last blog ..With Apologies To John Denver =-.

Sabrina - July 22, 2010 - 12:53 pm

I completely agree with Julie & Joanna! Those teething tablets were priceless when my two were cutting teeth. They worked wonderfully. Good luck! :-)

Nicole - July 22, 2010 - 3:14 pm

It seems like forever ago that we were dealing with this! Rubbing their gums and letting them bite on my fingers was soothing. Good luck!
.-= Nicole´s last blog ..GRADUATION!!! =-.

the domestic fringe - July 22, 2010 - 7:09 pm

I used those teething tablets and baby orajel. Cold things are great too…even a frozen wet washcloth.

Jacquie Love Bunker - July 22, 2010 - 10:43 pm

I totally used baby Orajel, Tylenol, cold washcloths and teething rings. My two boys started acting like themselves about 15-20 min after I gave the Tylenol. I can’t keep track of how old your little guy is now? If he is 6 months or older, you can give Motrin.
Anyway, that’s what worked for me. Mine got their teeth in 1′s or 2′s in constant succession for about 6 months it seemed like. One set would come in, then the next would start up. The drugs were the only things that some relief…for them AND me. Good luck! Seeing your little one hurting is heartbreaking :( .

Heidi - July 23, 2010 - 6:39 am

Is it too early to nag your child about the importance of flossing these two teeth?

“Hey Henry! Floss those chompers, Buster, or you’ll be sitting in the dentist’s chair as a 20-something, wincing through a crown procedure, wincing when you get the bill … Teeth used to be cute, Henry. But not anymore. Now they’re just a pain in the a$$.”

Happy teething!

Sorry that’s wrong. I’m being surly. But you know more than anyone the truth in this. ;)

Making my Mark - July 23, 2010 - 7:51 am

He’s changed so much! You have a handsome little man.

As for the teething, baby orajel helps. My mom also froze several wash cloths for us to chew on. The cold helps numb the pain.
.-= Making my Mark´s last blog ..Sweet Summertime =-.

Ernestina - July 26, 2010 - 8:19 am

Awe! He’ll get through this and it will pass. I was just wondering. He is such a beautiful baby boy but what color are his eyes. They are brown in some pictures and blue in others. Either way, he is gorgeous!

Sarah @ BecomingSarah.com - July 26, 2010 - 8:50 pm

If you find the answer to that question, let me know. Charlotte’s cutting her molars and they are much, much worse for her than any of the front teeth were =( She’s constantly stopping whatever she’s doing just to shove her fingers back there and cry or whimper in pain. For us, nothing really seems to work. I guess it’s just a good thing that they don’t remember this time of their lives =( But it sure does break a mama’s heart.
.-= Sarah @ BecomingSarah.com´s last blog ..Almost synonymous with love =-.

Tasneem R - July 27, 2010 - 4:13 am

Well actually you can;t do anything if a baby is teething . All you can do is comfort him . It is painful during teething but that’s the way it is and every child has to undergo this pain . I am a young but giving advice like a grandma! lol! hahaha
Yeah the pictures you’ve put of your boy is simply too cute!

How well will you cope if your child lands in an emergency?
.-= Tasneem R´s last blog ..10 Signs It’s Time to Leave Your Job =-.

Cynthia - July 27, 2010 - 9:55 pm

My little girl is 9 months in a couple of days and is just getting her first tooth. We have not found anything that has worked well yet. We are doing the Hylands teething tabs, generic tylenol, freezing a teether, freezing wash cloths, and everything we try is temporary! Good luck and hope they come in quickly for him!!
.-= Cynthia´s last blog ..Laundry Time =-.

Mom of 5 - July 29, 2010 - 4:11 pm

Two teeth at once….wow!!! No wonder he was drooling so much. Poor baby…the cool teething rings help relieve the pain. Looking like they’ve both broken through the gums, that’s the really painful part so the worst is behind you until the next one comes in. He’s just a total doll, he’ll be eating steak in no time!!! I too think chocolate milk sounds good and it won’t be long before he’s asking you for it. Give him a big hug and kiss…..