Restaurant Week in DC – Sette Bello

If you’ve never experienced Restaurant Week in DC, you are missing out.  It comes around a couple of times a year and is a great opportunity to check out the restaurants that may normally be a bit out of reach price-wise.  We usually go for the dinner meal but with a baby and still being new to eating out, we decided to do lunch since it’s not as crowded.

Our restaurant of choice was Sette Bello, in Clarendon.

I have to admit that I’ve driven by it numerous times but never noticed it.  Surprising, really, given that the inside is huge.

We got there around 1:00 but, as you can see in the pictures, the place wasn’t exactly hopping.  For some reason, they sat us in the very corner, all by ourselves.  I didn’t know whether to be offended or to be grateful.

I chose to be grateful.  Even though taking babies out to restaurants is possible, it’s not always easy, so the more space the better.  You know, in case any food goes flying or baby has a melt down.

Thankfully, Henry was on his best behavior.  He sat quietly in his car seat and chewed on his toys.

Maybe it was because Daddy laid down the law as soon as we got there.

Or maybe it’s just because he’s a sweet kid.  Either way, his good behavior allowed us to enjoy our delightful bread while we waited for our appetizer.

Let me interject here to tell you a little about Restaurant Week so that you’ll understand how it works.  For lunch (or dinner) at any of the participating restaurants, you can get an appetizer, an entree, and a dessert for either $20 or $30, respectively.  You have a set menu from which to choose (our menu included three selections under each course) so it is a bit limited, but you get to try new food and experience a new place so it’s worth it.

It’s usually pretty fancy food too and by fancy I mean food that I wouldn’t fix myself (not that that’s saying much really).  Take, for example, our first course: a lovely salad with spinach greens, onions and raw salmon.  Yes, raw salmon.  This for a girl who has never had, nor probably ever will have, sushi.  But, since it was Restaurant Week and I had promised myself that I would try the dish no matter what, I managed to swallow two small bites.

I wasn’t a big fan.

Not to worry, though, our main course was much better.  I might go so far as to call it delightful even.  Creamy sauce, delicate mushrooms, and handmade ravioli filled with pureed chicken.  Yum.

I probably would have licked the plate if we hadn’t been in such a fancy place.  But I restrained myself since I didn’t want to embarrass Henry.

Our dessert came next.  For me – a piece of cheesecake.  For the CPA – ice cream or Gelato (since we were in an Italian restaurant).

I gotta tell you, the cheesecake was only okay; it didn’t wow me.  I don’t say that lightly because I consider myself quite the cheesecake expert.  In fact, I was kicking myself for not ordering the CPA’s dish because quite frankly, it was some of the best ice cream I have ever eaten.

It was rich and silky smooth and absolutely heavenly.

It was the perfect end to a wonderful meal.  We thoroughly enjoyed our experience and left there with full tummies and happy faces.  I can hardly wait for the next Restaurant Week to get here.

Oh and if you’re ever in town – Sette Bello is a definite must.

Just don’t order the raw salmon.

Do you have a Restaurant Week, or something like it, where you live?

Kristina P. - August 29, 2010 - 9:01 pm

That looks delicious. We have something like that in SLC, called Dine O Round.
.-= Kristina P.´s last blog ..Insert Witty Title Here =-.

Mindee@ourfrontdoor - August 30, 2010 - 4:56 am

Living in a big city can be such fun. No, we have nothing like that here but I wish we did. I like sushi so the raw salmon doesn’t bother me, but even so I don’t think I’d order that salad.
.-= Mindee@ourfrontdoor´s last blog ..How To Achieve A Perfect Nap =-.

Angela C. - August 30, 2010 - 5:33 am

We have a similar week in Columbus… They call it Restaurant Week too. :) I haven’t had a chance to try a new place, but I am hoping when it rolls around this year!

Your lunch looked delicious! :)

Jenna @ Newlyweds - August 30, 2010 - 6:08 am

Looks delicious so glad Henry was so well behaved, that always makes it more enjoyable.
.-= Jenna @ Newlyweds´s last blog ..Menu Plan Monday =-.

Cristina - August 30, 2010 - 6:53 am

Well then this just might be the restaurant for me because I hate fish anyway! ha.

What a cute concept Restaurant Week is. I’ve never heard of anything like that.
.-= Cristina´s last blog ..MORE Random Things on my Mind =-.

Sara - August 30, 2010 - 7:18 am

Chicago has a restaurant week–I think it’s usually in February. Every year I want to choose a place and try it, but for whatever reason (probably something related to cold, snow, ice, and general malaise) we never do. It’s a great concept though! Your lunch looks fabulous. I’d be all over that salmon :)
.-= Sara´s last blog ..Roasted stuffed eggplant =-.

Mom of 5 - August 30, 2010 - 9:57 am

What a great opportunity and it looks like a wonderful meal. So glad you guys had the chance to participate. We have something like that here in town and it’s a definite plus to get try some of the super great places downtown. My sweet COP took me for a surprise couple hours down the river on a riverboat Sat. and we had a marvelous time. It’s such fun to get out and try something new isn’t it? The place looks great and I’ll try to remember it when next we’re in town visiting and we’ll give it a try.

Carolina Baker - August 30, 2010 - 1:06 pm

I just moved to New York and Restaurant week was so much fun! I was the only one of a group of friends who wanted to finish her entire meal…but didn’t…because all the girls said they were full!! So I took half my steak home and ate it the next night with the hubby.

Can I ask why Sushi is not a favorite? I really want to know!!!
.-= Carolina Baker´s last blog ..Jenny Gardiner- Author- Talks to GirlHabits =-.

The Wife of Odie - August 30, 2010 - 7:08 pm

I miss you. That’s all :)

Laura B. - August 31, 2010 - 9:50 am

Yum!! We have a couple of restaurant weeks here in Atlanta. Hubby and I have already indulged in “Downtown” restaurant week by going to Legal Sea Foods. HOLY MOLEY YUMMINESS!!! We are set to go to The Meltin Pot (fondue) on the 11th for “Midtown” Restaurant Week. I always look forward to them because it’s a way to try out new places. Or, as in The Melting Pot, go to an old favorite that you haven’t been to in a long time. :-)
.-= Laura B.´s last blog ..Im now one of THOSE mothers =-.

Erin - September 5, 2010 - 6:14 pm

Love restaurant weeks! We took advantage of them both when we lived in NYC and Las Vegas. We went this time around in DC, too. We went to Ceiba in DC. Very tasty and fun night out!!
.-= Erin´s last blog ..On my mind =-.

Ashley Buchaman - September 22, 2010 - 4:20 pm

I just wanted to let you know that I’m so grateful for all I’ve learned from you, I love all your posts. Thanks so much for sharing.

Because they Can North Capitol Street - August 29, 2010 - 10:27 pm

[...] Restaurant Week in DC – Sette Bello | From Single To Married [...]

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Servers r Us, closeby posts. closeby posts said: Restaurant Week in DC – Sette Bello | From Single To Married: If you've never experienced Restaurant Week in DC, y… http://bit.ly/aVMmY9 [...]

[...] Restaurant Week in DC – Sette Bello | From Single To Married [...]