Friday Rambling

It’s Friday today, in case you didn’t know. It’s Labor Day weekend too, a definite bonus in my book.  Oh – and I’m rambling a bit this morning too, consider yourself warned.

It’s been a tough week on the work front.  I had to help terminate 10 people last Friday so I’m hoping that this Friday will be better.  I still have a job which automatically makes it better, but I feel for those who lost theirs.  That part of my job doesn’t get any easier no matter how many times it happens.

On a positive note, I’m getting my computer fixed today.  I’ve been using my laptop for all of my personal stuff but not too long ago I had this great desktop computer that we used for everything.  After four years, though, it gave up the ghost and completely shut down.  It had been sitting untouched for the past six months until yesterday when we finally decided to do something about it.

I took the computer to the Apple store to have them put in a new hard drive.  It is times like these when I realize just how much work being in charge of a little person really is.  If it had been a laptop there would have been no problem.  But our desktop is one of those huge 24 inch screen/monitor combos, so getting it into the store was no easy task.  You should have seen us – Henry was in a sling on my hip and the computer was riding shotgun in the stroller.  Yes, we looked slightly ridiculous and yes, I couldn’t have cared less.

What I did care about, however, was that Apple said they couldn’t upgrade my hard drive for me.  They could only replace the original hard drive, which was 500 GB.  Um, hello! 500 GB is soooo 2006.   You can’t even get a desktop these days with anything less than 1,000 GB and goodness knows I need all of that space.  I’m not sure what I’m going to do with it all, but I’m sure I need it.

So I started looking at third party vendors.  That is when I found Expert Mac Repair.  I called for a quote and was told that for a $100 less than Apple would charge me, I could get a new hard drive that was three times bigger AND I could have it done tomorrow (as opposed to three-four days with Apple) AND I could have it done from the comfort of my home.  Seriously?  Why would people go anywhere else?

With that taken care of, I picked up my computer from the Apple store and brought it home.  When I got back, I saw that our neighbors across the street had a big stork on their front lawn.  No, not a real stork silly… a wooden one.

What’s that you say?  You haven’t seen them before?  They’re awesome!  They look like this:

Actually, I’m glad the sign is there because it reminds me that I need to bring them a meal.  I remember how appreciated those meals were after Henry was born.  Eating was enough of a chore without worrying about actually fixing food.

Now… where was I?  Oh yes, today is Friday.  Do you see what happens when I’m at home by myself all morning with no one to talk to?  I get distracted and start rambling and talking to anyone who will listen even if it doesn’t make sense or is of no particular interest to anyone but my husband and maybe my son too, if I’m lucky.

I guess what I’m really trying to say is, it’s Friday and it’s a holiday weekend too.

Just in case you didn’t know…

What are you doing this weekend?

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is - September 3, 2010 - 3:49 am

I have pictures standing in front of a wooden stork with my mom when my brother was born. I loved the thing but I never see them anymore!
.-= Jessica @ How Sweet It Is´s last blog ..A Thursday Feast =-.

Mindee@ourfrontdoor - September 3, 2010 - 4:42 am

That’s awesome news about your computer!

Happy Labor Day weekend. Hope you get to relax a bit.
.-= Mindee@ourfrontdoor´s last blog ..Where You Wont Find Me =-.

Sara - September 3, 2010 - 6:17 am

Wow what a good deal on your computer! That’s awesome. We’re headed to North Carolina this weekend for a wedding and a visit to my old grad school home (in Durham). I didn’t know my husband when I lived there, so I’m excited to share a little piece of my past with him. Hope you enjoy yours!
.-= Sara´s last blog ..The most wonderful time of the year =-.

Ellen@FirednFabulous - September 3, 2010 - 6:23 am

“Terminate.” What harsh word. Yup, it’s happened to me. Only, I’m pretty sure that the man who gave me the pink slip had a piece of black coal for a heart. Anywhoooo….I am pumped for the weekend! My mom is in town and we are going to act like tourists—something I rarely get to do in NYC!
.-= Ellen@FirednFabulous´s last blog ..Stay-Slim Secrets from The Bean Bitch! =-.

Cristina - September 3, 2010 - 6:35 am

Some people down the street from us have a stork JUST LIKE THAT but there’s is for a little one named Bryn Nicole. We had a little plastic thing that cost $2.99 that said “Baby girl” and it flopped in the wind the whole time! ha.

This weekend…well my husband has been doing a Urology rotation and he’s working from about 5:45 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. everyday, except for the weekends! He doesn’t get Monday off (hospitals don’t celebrate Labor Day, HOW RUDE) but we’ll have the weekend TOGETHER! No big plans, just relaxing…glorious.
.-= Cristina´s last blog ..Her First Day =-.

Vicky - September 3, 2010 - 6:38 am

Oh yes, the failed hard drive and the walk of shame through the mall! Last time that happened to us I could just hear all those PC people saying to themselves “I told you so” as I walked through the food court with a huge imac in my arms…

I have some Polish friends that will be landing at my house and we will be celebrating our friend’s 60th birthday. In an effort to cut costs this summer we didn’t buy any meat products so we’ve decided to have a 60′s themed “Hippy Vegetarian Birthday weekend” for him.

I hope you and your family and your readers have a wonderful and peaceful Labor Day holiday.

admin - September 3, 2010 - 7:07 am

Vicky – yes, the walk of shame, that’s a good way to describe it! It’s funny to stand in the Apple store and watch all the people whip out their iPhones, iPad, iBook, etc. while they’re waiting. I feel like it’s a show-and-tell to see who has the most Apple products on them.

Ellen – you’re right, Terminate is a totally harsh word. So is the process. Ours were technically “lay offs” due to lack of work but the end result was the same. Never fun and always scary for those of us who are left.

Cristina – I didn’t even think of doing a sign at all! Of course there was still 16 inches of snow on the ground so the chances of people seeing the sign anyway was small. We just had a couple of handwritten notes (that my sweet sister put up) on the door.

Sara – LOVE North Carolina. Don’t know if I”ve ever mentioned it but that’s actually where I’m from, technically speaking. I don’t get back often enough but it sure is beautiful – have a good trip!

Jessica – I know, I have only seen one other sign like that and it was not too long ago. I looked them up because I was curious and apparently you can rent them for about $100 a week. Not too bad. I wouldn’t imagine you would want it up for longer than a week of course… that would start to look a little strange!

John von Cannon - September 3, 2010 - 7:16 am

Sweetie–ramble on!! It is Friady and a long week-end, even for those of us retired! Tutz and I are going to Desoto Falls and walk down “memory lane”–it was mid 1991 when we were there–just 3 months before our wedding. Hope you, Henry, and the CPA have a great and safe Labor Day Week-end! Dad

Mom of 5 - September 3, 2010 - 8:07 am

Love it when you ramble!!! Your job isn’t easy and letting people go is most difficult. Glad that’s behind you. Wow, so glad you found the repair place that will take care of your computer so well. Long weekend….YEA!!! The COP has to work Monday though so I don’t actually get to have three days with my BFF but I’ll take two. We have such a totally packed day tomorrow, hoping we get everything in: couponing (love the shopping and getting things for cents on the dollar or FREE) going to friends home to help her can some produce, looking forward to that – it’ll be such fun (haven’t done it in a long time), then going out with friends for bucket list activities. Going to be super. You guys have a great Labor Day weekend…give that little guy a bug hug from Nana. Enjoy yourselves.

Kristina P. - September 3, 2010 - 8:44 am

Those little storks are darling. Sorry about the rough times at work!
.-= Kristina P.´s last blog ..Nap Dancing =-.

Sabrina - September 3, 2010 - 2:05 pm

Hopefully we’ll be relaxing this weekend. The stork reminded me of what the hospital did when my kids were born. Immediately after they were born, they gave my husband a sign to take home and put in our yard. Pink “It’s a GIRL” for her and blue “It’s a BOY” for him. Such a easy way to let the neighbors know the little ones had arrived.

Thanks for evoking that fun little memory, it was filed away since he’ll be 17 in a couple of weeks and she’ll be 13 next month. OMG Where does the time go?? :-)

Nicole - September 3, 2010 - 5:10 pm

I plan to enjoy a weekend with no homework for the boys, no packing lunches, no driving to and from school, no waking up too early! (oh…and I plan to enjoy my boys and husband!)
.-= Nicole´s last blog ..21st ANNIVERSARY! =-.

Cristina - September 6, 2010 - 12:35 pm

I had already posted a comment here, but just wanted you to know I gave you a little blog award! I love your posts!!

.-= Cristina´s last blog ..My First AND an Announcement!! =-.

Heidi - September 9, 2010 - 11:46 am

What does “it gave up the ghost” mean?

The stork lawn ornament is awesome. Very old school.
.-= Heidi´s last blog ..To my readers- =-.

admin - September 9, 2010 - 12:49 pm

Cristina – awesome! I love awards of any kind, especially blog awards!

Heidi – oops, that must be a Mormon thing. :) Give up the ghost means to die.

Tina - September 10, 2010 - 7:22 am

Hope you’ve had a good week! And yes…meals after baby are VITAL!! LOL
.-= Tina´s last blog ..30 days of self love – Perfection =-.