In the Gutter

Are you familiar with the phrase “get your mind out of the gutter?”  Well, this week it has taken on a whole new meaning for me.

It all started several months ago, last year actually.  We began to notice wrinkles on the wall in the nursery.  Oddly enough, we would get comments on it when people came by to look at the baby’s new room.  They thought we had done it on purpose and said it looked “cool.”  It probably did look cool at that point because it had kind of a marble, ripple effect going on.

It doesn’t look so cool now, however, and since it’s gotten worse, we decided to have it looked at.   Our first guess was that water had been getting into our walls.  I don’t know much about home repair but from what I do know, that’s not good.

We had a guy survey our house to give us an estimate.  His final verdict: yes, we had water seepage (it’s not often I get to fit the word seepage into a sentence) and most of our rain gutters and the wood that supports them needed to be replaced to the tune of $2,500.

While we didn’t want to spend the money, we knew we didn’t have a choice, so we set up the appointment.  And finally, the day arrived.  Today, actually.

As I sit here typing this, I can hear the pounding of hammers on our roof and the scrape of the workers’ ladders on our walls.  It’s kind of freaking me out to look up from my desk and see someone’s feet outside our basement window.

Not nearly as freaked out, however, as I was a few minutes ago when I went to the upstairs bathroom to, you know, use it, and happened to glance out the bathroom window only to find myself eye to eye with one of the workers standing on a ladder.  Actually, it wasn’t eye to eye, it was more like eye to chest as he had discarded his shirt in what I can only imagine was a vain attempt to stay cool (in the temperature sense).

Needless to say, I decided I didn’t have to go to the bathroom that badly after all.  But now I can’t get the image of a half-naked guy outside of my bathroom window out of my head.  And not in a good way, I might add.

It gives a whole new meaning to the phrase “get your mind out of the gutter.”  In fact, I don’t think I’ll ever be able to look at a rain gutter the same way again.  And I’ll definitely be checking the bathroom window before using the facilities from now on.

You know… just in case.

Nicole - September 20, 2010 - 4:22 am

Oh no!! Ha ha. I would have totally freaked out!! :)
.-= Nicole´s last blog ..Countdown to Vacation =-.

Julie - September 20, 2010 - 4:27 am

lol. Our hose is right under the bathroom window so if I know my husband or someone else is out there, I close the mini-blinds.

I’m very lucky my dad is a carpenter and my husband wants to learn more. And my father-in-law knows enough. I don’t have to pay for more than supplies and a dinner for almost anything on my house.
.-= Julie´s last blog ..The Good- the Bad- and the Free =-.

Mindee@ourfrontdoor - September 20, 2010 - 4:30 am

Oh that is too funny. Definitely NOT what you want to see out your bathroom window.

I hope your new gutters look gorgeous!
.-= Mindee@ourfrontdoor´s last blog ..The Longest Friday Ever =-.

Heather (Heather's Dish) - September 20, 2010 - 5:15 am

oooof, i can’t imagine…i’d be totally freaked out if that happened to me! hey, no more rain damage though, right?!
.-= Heather (Heather’s Dish)´s last blog ..I AM the Next Food Blog Star! =-.

admin - September 20, 2010 - 5:21 am

Mindy – I don’t know about gorgeous (not as pretty as your copper colored ones anyway) but they do look new. And white. And leaf free. So I guess that’s good. :)

Jessica @ One Shiny Star - September 20, 2010 - 5:27 am

Did you get more than one estimate? It’s kind of crazy how quickly things can go from simple repairs to huge repairs! How everything get’s repaired quickly and you can use the restroom! lol.
.-= Jessica @ One Shiny Star´s last blog ..One Shiny Book – Giveaway =-.

Joanna - September 20, 2010 - 6:21 am

That’s on my list, too. New gutters … *sigh* I wish it was something fun like new furniture or new kitchen cabinets.
.-= Joanna´s last blog ..New Neighbor =-.

Cristina - September 20, 2010 - 6:44 am

I was hoping, for your case, this was an ENJOYABLE get your mind out of the gutter. Maybe you need to tell your husband to stand in the EXACT position there so the area of your house won’t haunt you anymore!
.-= Cristina´s last blog ..Wanna See Our Livingroom =-.

Kristina P. - September 20, 2010 - 8:45 am

Oh, wow! That really sucks! I hope everything is back to new.
.-= Kristina P.´s last blog ..Baby Got Back =-.

Mom of 5 - September 20, 2010 - 9:09 am

What a site to see upon use of the facilities….you’ll have to work on getting that one to fad from the old memory bank! You’re never ready for a big expense for your home but it surely comes with the territory. Just hold on to the thought that this will prevent any further damage, will look great, and hoping you got the kind with leave protectors so the CPA won’t have to clean them out too often.

Hope the day goes well in getting them up and they do a really professional job and everything is done to the “t”. Post a picture of your new gutters!!!

Sara - September 20, 2010 - 9:23 am

Oh my, too funny! This is the sort of thing that makes me nervous about owning a home (we currently rent–not quite ready to take that leap yet).
.-= Sara´s last blog ..Weekend =-.

admin - September 20, 2010 - 9:30 am

Sara – I couldn’t agree more! The pest guys just left and are charging us $900 to take care of the rat problem they found in the garage/under the porch. Great. I’m beginning to wonder if renting wouldn’t be a lot easier! Certainly cheaper repair!

Nicole - September 20, 2010 - 10:07 am

You are cracking me up! Sorry about the expenses on the house…not fun, but necessary.
.-= Nicole´s last blog ..WARNING80s WEDDING PHOTOS! =-.

Tabitha Blue - September 20, 2010 - 10:28 am

Oh my goodness… what a project!! Wow. And what a story. I think that guy standing out of my window would have freaked me out a bit too!!
.-= Tabitha Blue´s last blog ..Sunday Citar Doing Something =-.

Brad Fallon - September 21, 2010 - 11:37 am

Yikes, I’m a guy and even that would have freaked me out!

[...] In the Gutter | From Single To Married [...]