7 Reasons You Should Move to Washington, DC

Do you ever have those mornings where you realize you have absolutely nothing interesting to say?  Nothing smart or witty or even remotely entertaining?  Even this intro has taken me five minutes to write and I’m not even joking.

Apparently it’s going to be one of those days so I’m just going to embrace it and do what I always do whenever I have nothing else to do – I’m going to make a list.  So without further ado, allow me to present to you:

7 reasons why you should Move to Washington, DC (or at least come visit)

1.  No building is above 10 stories.  Yeah, I’m not sure why that is a benefit either, but it’s interesting.  And it makes for a very level skyline.

2. A Car is optional.  Unless, of course, you need to carry something big, otherwise you’re good to go.  Need to get groceries you say?  No problem.  Everyone uses one of these handy-dandy little carts.  They’re the latest fashion accessory for all city-dwellers.

And if you need to get from one place to another, just hop on the Metro and you’ll be there in no time.  Unless it’s stuck due to an outage or there’s a delay on one of the lines and then you’re on your own.

3. Historical sites.  The Washington Monument.  The Lincoln Memorial.  The Jefferson Memorial.  The National Cathedral.  The World War II Memorial.  Need I say more?

4.  Everything is free.  Okay, maybe I should clarify that a bit because it is, after all, a city and we all know that things in the city aren’t cheap.  But there are loads of free entertainment, however.  All of the above sites, for example, are completely free.  Weekly concerts at the Kennedy Center are completely free.  Sitting in the park at Dupont Circle and watching people go by won’t cost you a dime. (Picture courtesy of Wikipedia.)

5. Feeling hungry? Then you’re in luck because DC offers a bit of everything.  Craving Ethopian food?  No problem.  Looking for Mid-Eastern cuisine?  Search no further.  Anything you want to eat and more is offered here and often times until the late hours of the night.

6. Political Junkie Haven.  If you’re into politics (which surprisingly, I’m not) then this is the town for you.  And chances are good that you’ll run into a Congressman or Senator during your jaunts about town so be sure that you have your handy dandy “who’s who” book with you.  If you’re really lucky, you just might be able to get your picture taken with one.

7.  Fireworks.  I think it’s a given that the Capitol of the United States is going to have the best firework display EVER on Fourth of July.  I realize that you can see them only once a year, but they really are that good so start planning now.  (Image courtey of wikipedia.)

Okay… I was going for 10 reasons but, as I mentioned earlier, I’m having “issues” this morning so I’m going to have to stop at seven.  Suffice it to say though, it’s a great place to live/visit and I give it two thumbs up.

Have you ever been to DC?  What did you like (or dislike) about it?

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is - October 15, 2010 - 5:07 am

We are actually leaving for DC today for a little weekend trip! :)
.-= Jessica @ How Sweet It Is´s last blog ..A Sunday Drive =-.

Kristina P. - October 15, 2010 - 6:20 am

I would love to move back east. I love fall in the east.
.-= Kristina P.´s last blog ..Every Night Has Been a Dark Knight =-.

April - October 15, 2010 - 6:36 am

Sure, make me miss DC. That’s twice recently. I can’t remember offhand what your other, earlier post was about but it was something that made me wonder yet again why we moved 3 hours north. We lived there during grad school in the late 90′s, but now we’re resigned to periodic day trips.

joy - October 15, 2010 - 6:39 am

Moving to DC would be a dream for me! I spent one week in high school for the Close Up program there and I also presented a paper at a conference there in college. I LOVE the museums, monuments and metro!!! I love being able to walk around everywhere and most of all not having to travel by car. The last time I was there, I flew into BWI and took the train to the main Metro hub in DC. Loved being able to do that. I hope to take the whole family up there to see it all soon. I would love to take the train from Charlotte. :)

Märtha - October 15, 2010 - 8:15 am

I would love to visit DC, I hope I get the chance some day!

Jessika - October 15, 2010 - 8:24 am

I wish I could make up a list for reasons to move to the Pacific Northwest, but I too am facing morning brain freeze. Plus, we do lack the quantity of museums. There are many, but it’s not like you can throw a rock and have an 80% chance of hitting one. We make up for that and the lack of politicians (good thing? Bad thing?) in beauty. LOTS of green. And trees. And you can generally see them and only them, with no people in the photograph frame alongside.

That said, I’ve been to DC many times. Oh, I could tell you that I used to date a boy out there… but hten that tale would send me on a rollercoaster of “my gosh, my life would be different” and I’d probably bore you to death. So, suffice it to say, I do like your city too.
.-= Jessika´s last blog ..New cookbook and tomorrow =-.

Meg - October 15, 2010 - 8:36 am

I *love* D.C.! Can I add a couple of more items to your list? Cherry blossoms. Really great springs and autumns (summers, on the other hand….). And I love that there are a couple of major airports there, making it so easy to travel in and out. You’re a lucky duck — I’d love to live there! :)

Mom of 5 - October 15, 2010 - 10:21 am

Love DC!!! Your posts make me want to come up almost every weekend just to catch some of the sites you’ve posted that we haven’t seen yet. There is so much to see and do there that the variety is just wonderful. It would be difficult to choose a favorite…oh wait, that one is easy, seeing you, darling Henry and the CPA!!!!

Hope your day improves…take a walk with your little guy and catch the beauty of the leaves. Ours is beautiful here. In fact, we’re heading to the mountains tomorrow to see the show up close and personal..I’ll send pics…..

Casper - October 15, 2010 - 10:30 am

I have never been.. It looks neat though! I am really not into politics though! I try to avoid them at all cost.
.-= Casper´s last blog ..Swedish Pancakes =-.

Nicole - October 15, 2010 - 10:36 am

I never had a desire to go to D.C., then I went for work (in 1991) and LOVED IT!!!!! I would LOVE to come back and visit. Thanks for the reminder!
.-= Nicole´s last blog ..MY BABYS GROWING UP!!! =-.

angela - October 15, 2010 - 12:36 pm

I love visiting DC! I’ve been there three times, and the last trip was for President Obama’s inauguration. I’ve never been more mesmerized by the city, and would love to go back again. Maybe Fourth of July? :)

Michelle - October 15, 2010 - 4:03 pm

I grew up in Northern VA and lived in DC until I was 31. I miss it but I’ve moved to another beautiful and amazing part of the country – San Francisco! I definitely recommend moving to DC and spending time there.
.-= Michelle´s last blog ..Empty Walls =-.

Christy aka Mamarazzi - October 15, 2010 - 7:02 pm

I really would like to visit this area in the spring when the cherry blossoms are in bloom. Me & G2 (my camera) would go nuts!
.-= Christy aka Mamarazzi´s last blog ..Today- it’s all about You! =-.

Mindee@ourfrontdoor - October 16, 2010 - 8:49 am

You make some very good points here. I’ll agree that D.C. is a fabulous place to visit – and I have, at least 20 times – but it’s still too “big city” for me.
.-= Mindee@ourfrontdoor´s last blog ..Not At All Rational =-.

Melody C - October 18, 2010 - 3:27 am

I love Skewers! Ate there twice in one week when I was there last year! I tried to move to DC and succeeded for 9 months. Would love to be back there! Thanks for sharing your wise thoughts on the area!

Jill - October 18, 2010 - 5:45 pm

I visited DC when I was 16…and actually celebrated my 17th bday on the way home in Mannassas, VA :) I loved DC because there was SO MUCH to do. I was there an entire week and still didn’t get to see everything. I’d love to go back someday!
.-= Jill´s last blog ..KY Wine &amp Balmex =-.

MaggieRuns - October 19, 2010 - 5:48 am

I love DC! My husband used to travel a lot with work as an engineer. Since we homeschool I had the pleasure of traveling and meeting him during the work week at various locations throughout the country. We where fortunate enough to have him work out of DC for a full summer one year!! Best place on earth especially if your teaching American history to your kids! ;-)

admin - October 19, 2010 - 11:08 am

ahhh, yes – the cherry blossoms. Love them! Had to miss them this past spring (something about having a newborn and going downtown in the early morning cold just wasn’t appealing). But I fully plan on being there in 2011!

SergioM - October 22, 2010 - 1:37 am

Why do you say that you’re not into politics (surprisingly)?

I’m asking you that because in Spain most of the people hates politics and politicians and the key word is lie because you can’t trust on them.

Meg - October 22, 2010 - 11:55 am

Oh, I love D.C. — and am there many times a month! I live just to the south in Maryland (Charles County, if that rings any bells!) and love getting downtown for all the great things you mentioned: free attractions; sites; food. I’ll be on the mall tomorrow with my boyfriend for the U.S.A. Science & Engineering Festival. :)
.-= Meg´s last blog ..Sweet potato pie — a worthy and scrumptious alternative to pumpkin =-.

Luzy - May 18, 2012 - 6:20 pm

Moving to DC this year is my #1 goal for 2012. But first I need to find employement, which it isn’t easy beign out of state.

Guest - June 20, 2012 - 5:00 pm

yeah I live in San francisco, ca born and raised. I’ve lived in montgomery, AL, atlanta, GA, and i have been all up and down the east coast from cambridge, mass to miami, fl, however I have never been to dc and want to attend school there being that I am a political junkie…so thank you for the list and confirming my decision. I can always come back to san francisco because it is home but dc seems pretty nice!

Ramberg Media Group - The News Platform - October 15, 2010 - 2:39 pm

District of Columbia Public Schools chancellor Michelle Rhee announces resignation…

We liked your article, so we (RambergMediaGroup) would be interested in hearing from you, our readers like it….