Alone in a Crowd

Saturday night was the annual Halloween party at church so I dressed Henry up in his costume and headed over.

Go ahead, tell me he’s the cutest tiger you’ve ever seen.

Believe it or not, though, Henry isn’t the point of this post.  It’s what happened while we were at the party that I want to talk about.  There were a ton of people there, lots of parents with their kids in tow.  I saw hot dogs and elephants and transformers – kids were loving it.  Everyone seemed to be having a good time.

And then there was me.

Sure I had friends there and I knew most of the people in attendance.  But after a few minutes I sat on the floor with Henry since he was too young for candy and not old enough to play the games (and he was heavy).  I chatted with a friend and then another one.  But after about 30 minutes, I was done so we went back home.  It made me sad for some reason and I couldn’t figure out why.  I didn’t understand why, with all of those people there and even with my friends, I felt alone.

After thinking about it the past couple of days though, it dawned on me.  It’s because yes, there were a lot of people there and yes there were lots of friends, but everyone was there with their family.  They were there to watch their children have fun and to support them, it wasn’t about socializing with the other adults.  Of course there was some of that going on, but it was secondary to having fun with their families.  And my CPA wasn’t there so our family unit wasn’t complete and I felt alone.

It was a strange feeling.  It made me once again realize how important he is in our lives.  Which was why I was more glad than usual to welcome him home from his week-long trip today.  We met him at the airport and surprised him as he got off the plane.

Isn’t he handsome when he’s surprised?

Side note here: I love Reagan National Airport.  It’s the coolest airport ever!

The best part was seeing little Henry’s face as he saw his dad for the first time in a week.

That was exactly how I felt.  Now I don’t have to be alone in a crowd anymore and our family is once again complete.  I’m so glad my sweetie’s home.

Do you ever feel “alone in a crowd?”

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is - October 25, 2010 - 5:05 am

Okay… he is the cutest tiger I’ve ever seen. Adorable!
.-= Jessica @ How Sweet It Is´s last blog ..Giving it 100 =-.

Sara - October 25, 2010 - 7:46 am

Oh my goodness, Henry in a button-down shirt = totally adorable :) Of course his Tiger suit is adorable too, but he just looks so grown up in that shirt! I also second your love of Reagan–it’s my favorite airport to be laid over in.
I’m glad that your family is back together again!
.-= Sara´s last blog ..Pumpkin stew =-.

Kristina P. - October 25, 2010 - 8:33 am

I definitely do sometimes. I can be very extroverted, but if I’m in a situation where I don’t know people, I am actually shy.
.-= Kristina P.´s last blog ..Unbreak My Heart =-.

Caroline - October 25, 2010 - 8:37 am

Aw that is so sweet! Yes, I do know that feeling. And- I have not forgotten to send you some links to my fave beauty blogs. I’m sorry it’s taken me forever!!!

Casper - October 25, 2010 - 8:49 am

Glad your world is all better again! He is just the cutest!
.-= Casper´s last blog ..Old vs New – Need vs Want =-.

Mom of 5 - October 25, 2010 - 10:03 am

Welcome home CPA!!! Know exactly what you mean and so glad the three of you are back together. Definitely the one of the cutest tigers EVER! Enjoy your week with the CPA and your little tiger!

Monique - October 25, 2010 - 10:30 am

Henry looks very cute in his costume. I have a Henry too. He is two. I do know the feeling you are talking about. I am always glad at those times to have my children to distract me as it somehow makes it a bit easier.

Jes Cady - October 25, 2010 - 11:44 am

Oh my goodness. I love this post. One of my most favorite things to see in the airport is a family (especially with a baby) welcoming home a loved one that just made a safe journey. LOVE IT!

Mariya - October 25, 2010 - 1:26 pm

Cutest tiger I’ve ever seen. :)

Gwen - October 25, 2010 - 1:33 pm

He is such a cutie! Just found your blog :)
.-= Gwen´s last blog ..Ask the Audience 2- Self Lovin =-.

blythe - October 25, 2010 - 5:35 pm

oh i completely forgot you were there alone. if braddock wasn’t making me chase him all over the gym i would have talked with you more. sorry. glad things are back to normal.

Lisa - October 25, 2010 - 8:07 pm

You have the cutest family EVER!

I can definitely relate – I am usually an outgoing person but there are times and situations where I am more comfortable when he is there, simply because I am not alone. I am sure it’s even more so when you have a child together. Glad your family is complete again :)

Kristen W. - October 26, 2010 - 8:01 pm

Such a sweet post! And Henry’s the cutest Tiger ever!

Sandra - October 26, 2010 - 9:11 pm

Yes, he definitely is the cutest tiger I’ve ever seen! Melted my heart…and I’m kind of a glacier queen, so that’s not easy to do.
Love this post though, filled with emotions, and the picture of your husband at the airport says it all.
I loved this post!
.-= Sandra´s last blog ..Im a big- fat- stupid head =-.

Erin - October 27, 2010 - 1:14 pm

Love the tiger costume. Glad your hubby is home! Happy Halloween!!
.-= Erin´s last blog ..travels across america: the conclusion =-.

Natasha - October 27, 2010 - 3:27 pm

He is the cutest tiger! Yes, I sometimes feel alone in a crowd, but I’m not married so my family is the family I grew up with and since I don’t live with them anymore it sometimes makes it hard not to feel alone.

diana - October 28, 2010 - 2:44 am

In a very touching way, this is the best post ever. I know what you mean!

Yes, he’s cute, and, yes, he’s handsome, but can’t you see how beautiful YOU are? Look at your eyes; your soul is springing in all its beauty, wisdom and serenity!

Once again, lovely, lovely post!