Christmas Newsletter or Card?

I am notoriously bad at sending out Christmas cards.  I love getting them though and the picture cards are my favorite.  But for some reason, every single year, I’m late getting them done.

Last year, for example.  We had a little one on the way so what better time to announce our expanding family to those whom we don’t see often?  But once again, time got away from me and I missed the Christmas window and my cards weren’t sent.  We ended up sending out New Year’s cards instead.  They went out, but they weren’t quite the same as a traditional Christmas card.

Which is probably why this year I was determined, nay even obsessed, with getting our cards sent out.  We even signed up for a photoshoot with our friends Jon and Melissa back in November so that we would have some cute photos to use.

We got the pictures back in plenty of time (and they were fantastic, I must say) but the problem was that I was torn… do I send a newsletter and a card?  2010 had been a big year and I wanted to tell people about Henry so a newsletter seemed like a good idea.  But I wanted to use the pictures we had taken too so should I just use a card with pictures on it?  Or, do I forgo the card altogether and send out a Christmas email?  I mean what is acceptable these days?

It took us a while to decide but we finally went with a card,

AND a newsletter.

The card went to everyone on the list, the newsletter went to family and close friends.  And we are also sending out an email with the newsletter attached for those whom we may have missed.

And I’m happy to report that the cards were mailed last Monday, almost two whole weeks before Christmas.  While I’m glad they are done and I’m pleased with how they turned out, I have to say – it was a lot of work.  So much so that I’m wondering if it’s even worth doing it next year.  We’ll see.  But for now, I’m just happy it’s done and I can sit back and look forward to receiving other people’s Christmas cards in the mail.

What about you – do you send Christmas cards?  Newsletters?  Christmas emails?

Kristina P. - December 19, 2010 - 7:54 pm

I love how you did that. I’m not really a fan of the Christmas letter, but a short message on a card is awesome.
.-= Kristina P.´s last blog ..Celebrities Are The Gifts That Keep On Giving =-.

Heather (Heather's Dish) - December 19, 2010 - 8:27 pm

we do cards every year, and it’s usually pretty easy for us…although i have to say we only have dogs and no human babies as of yet, so who knows what could happen then ;)
.-= Heather (Heather’s Dish)´s last blog ..Great Aunt Ruth’s Macaroons =-.

Janice - December 19, 2010 - 8:35 pm

I always just do a card with a new family photo on it.
.-= Janice´s last blog ..Somehow I am not teaching my kids correct principles =-.

Vicky - December 19, 2010 - 8:50 pm

I do send Christmas cards religiously but now that we have a baby I might add a newsletter. I absolutely LOVE receiving them and finding out about what people have been doing during the year, especially if I don’t get to see them often. What’s wrong with parents wanting to show off their kids and brag a little?!!! I especially look forward every holiday for my cousin’s 2 page typewritten newsletter explaining in detail every single thing her kids did. I enjoy that!

April - December 19, 2010 - 8:56 pm

First, can I say I absolutely LOVE the picture that occupies the bottom position on the front of the card? Henry has got the cutest expression on his face (and mischief-in-the-making in his eyes, LOL!).

I really want to do a letter, but I have never been able to muster the mental energy to follow through. Knowing my gift for procrastination, I have surrendered to the New Year’s card; it’s what we do now.

The box (we do a photo card also; my order arrived last week) is sitting on the table taunting me, actually. My address database is completely dysfunctional, and I am trying to muster the patience to figure out what I need to do. I do recall that last year I spent quite some time in several Mac forums figuring out how the heck to do something so seemingly simple as printing address labels, which definitely did not turn out to be simple. Predictably, I did not bother to bookmark or otherwise document any of the help I received. Oh well, at least they’re New Year’s cards, so I have time. ;-)

Lindsay - December 19, 2010 - 9:49 pm

First, love your blog!
I’ve had the same debate with the christmas cards…I like the letter idea but I’ve only ever gotten around to the picture card. But I almost wonder if the letter updates are becoming a thing of the past because of blogs and such that keep everyone up to date on what people are doing. This year all I did was sign it our names, but next year I want to remember to at least sign it with the ages of my kids so people that we don’t in touch with closely will at least know those details. I got one card this year that was a picture card with a simple paragraph below with about a sentance for each child telling their age and what they are up to and I really liked that. Anyway, sorry I am rambling! It’s just been on my mind with all the cards we’ve been getting :) .

Cynthia - December 19, 2010 - 10:08 pm

We do Christmas Cards, I am a little obsessive about the cards, and having them out on the 12th this year was late for me, ha ha! We always do a photo card, and this year we sent out a card with multiple (like 9) photos from a shoot with our photographer! I love your card and newsletter!! Good job on them both! And Henry, he is one handsome little baby!!!
.-= Cynthia´s last blog ..Moments Like These… =-.

Jill - December 19, 2010 - 10:16 pm

Typically I do a picture card but this year I have yet to do ANYTHING. I’m going to try to get somethings sent out tomorrow. I’m worthless this year…ugh. I’m not a huge fan of the Christmas newsletter (no offense) because it feels like most of us are so “connected” anyway, with blogs, Facebook, etc. That isn’t always the case, though, I do understand.
.-= Jill´s last blog ..Confessions 5the Grumpy Edition =-.

Carl Peter Allen - December 20, 2010 - 4:53 am

Love the photos. Eyes so blue and pretty and Henry’s too. Did you ever poze or model for a magazine? Does your husband have a name? Poor guy, but lucky too. You guys did lots of cool stuff this year. Carl

Casper - December 20, 2010 - 9:12 am

I am a card girl myself. They always have a blank back if you want to write something special to a specific person. I would skip the newsletter next year, my guess, your close family and friends already know most of whatever was in the newsletter. I think a card is just enough! They look very cute though. I love picture cards, they are my favorite.
.-= Casper´s last blog ..He Learns Quick =-.

Erin Ward - December 20, 2010 - 3:38 pm

His little tie is so adorable!

Julie - December 20, 2010 - 3:46 pm

Cute Christmas cards! I think everyone we know has mentioned they are annoyed with Christmas letters. Brag fests and so over the top! They don’t really serve any other purpose, if you think about it. But everyone loves getting Christmas cards with photos!

Dez - December 20, 2010 - 5:29 pm

Well, This year, I am hand writing out cards, Some have a simple signature, others have a little note for catching up on happenings. The cards include school pictures of my kids and a family photo. This is the first time in about 4 years that I have done any card-ing. It was time to get back into the swing of things! Your project turned out very well, Way to go!

Heather - December 20, 2010 - 11:41 pm

We did cards last year, but this year I am so sick of mailing wedding invitations & thank you notes that I decided not to do anything.
Last year, we did a great job though, so I don’t know how we’ll ever top it. We had just bought our house, and we took a picture of the two of us with the dog in front of the new house, and I put santa hats on all of us- even the dog. Then I found these great cards at Target that said on the front “There’s no place like home for the holidays.” -So fitting.

But I do really like the cards where you can insert the pre-printed 4×6 picture, because then friends & family can easily save the picture & throw out the card. I think this is going to be on my list for the after-christmas sales, so I can stock up for next year.

Mindee@ourfrontdoor - December 21, 2010 - 5:43 am

Good call on sending both. A new baby deserves all the coverage you can come up with. :)
.-= Mindee@ourfrontdoor´s last blog ..Running With Scissors =-.

Queen of Whirled - December 21, 2010 - 10:32 am

I am also terrible about sending out cards. My poor boyfriend. It’s our first Christmas together and he thought I just didn’t want to send a card with him in the picture. I had to explain that A) I always miss the Christmas card window and B) I’m always the one behind the camera. We don’t even have a decent shot of the three of us together (Me, my daughter, and boyfriend).

We’ll try to do better next year.

Love the newsletter!

Madison - December 21, 2010 - 1:34 pm

He’s so cute! We usually don’t do cards.
.-= Madison´s last blog ..Special Needs Dolls =-.

Nicole - December 21, 2010 - 3:19 pm

I am SO bad when it comes to sending out Christmas cards!!! Mine are going out tomorrow. Sigh, I’ll do better next year!
.-= Nicole´s last blog ..Your Ideas Wanted =-.

Suzanne @ Window On The Prairie - December 21, 2010 - 6:09 pm

We send out Christmas cards. And we like to send them out so that people get them as close as possible to Dec 25, the 1st day of Christmas.
.-= Suzanne @ Window On The Prairie´s last blog ..Snow On The Prairie =-.

Mom of 5 - December 21, 2010 - 7:30 pm

Love the both…they’re totally awesome. Your pictures are just beautiful. What handsome guys you have!!! Thanks for all the hard work, your family appreciates them and loves the updates and pics!!! Sure hope you do again next year.

Merry Christmas!!! Love you, Mom

Heidi - December 26, 2010 - 11:53 am

Your Christmas letter is pretty amazing. Have you considered a career in the magazine industry?

I usually send out Christmas cards, but I fizzle out quickly trying to write original messages on each one because I refuse to write the same generic greeting. (It’s a writer thing.) So a few years ago, I started sending SMALL cards. With limited space for handwritten messages, I felt less pressure to write each person a novella. I’m thinking next year I’ll design an awesome photo card … something snazzy and funny.
.-= Heidi´s last blog ..The joys of being a post office groupie =-.