Where Have I Been?

I know, I know, I’ve been totally MIA this week.  It’s already Thursday for heaven’s sake!  But I have a good excuse.  Well, I think it’s good anyway.  Henry is turning one next week which means that we’ve been busy getting ready for that.  You’d think that having a birthday celebration for a one year old wouldn’t be that difficult.

You’d be wrong.

First there was deciding what to do.  Do we throw a party?  It seemed kind of funny considering he’s too young to know what a party is.  And if we threw one, who would we invite?  Again… too young to have a list of friends.  But at the same time, it’s a big deal you know?  At least it is for us.

We finally decided to send out birthday announcements to family because who doesn’t like getting baby pictures in the mail?

Our purpose wasn’t to solicit presents, I promise.  We just love doing these cards because they’re inexpensive and fun.  And like I said – who doesn’t love getting pictures of babies?  Even if they’re grown up babies?

So the announcement went out as did an invitation to a play group which is what I am hosting tomorrow morning.  We have regular play groups at church so I invited about 17 other moms (those who usually attend the play group) and their little ones.  Yes, we are going to try and fit everyone into this tiny little space:

But I know it can be done since we had around 24 people during our open house last year.  It will be cozy, but that’s what makes it fun!

My mom is also flying in tomorrow night just for the weekend so we will have a traditional birthday party complete with balloons and gifts on Sunday.  My sweet aunt and cousin will be in attendance and possibly my husband’s sons and their wives too, so it will be a nice visit for everyone.

There, not a bad solution, if I do say so myself.  Now I just have to finish getting everything ready.  I’m going to try something fun from this cute book (which is HUGE considering I’ve never decorated cakes/cupcakes in my life):

and I’m in the process of making a couple of gifts for Henry so he’ll have something handmade from us (more on that later).  And let’s not forget all of the cleaning involved when having company.

So that’s where I’ve been this week.  It’s taken a ton of time to get everything going and I’ve done pretty well but I’m starting to get into panic mode so am kicking it into high gear.  Now I’m off to make my shopping list – wish me luck!

Vicky - February 3, 2011 - 8:29 am

Boy, that kid is so handsome! Anyways, who cares if he can’t remember the party? He’ll be showered with love, it’s a great opportunity to bring family and friends together, and when he’s older he’ll enjoy looking at the pictures of himself and his relatives when they were young! :)

Nicole - February 3, 2011 - 8:45 am

What fun celebrations you have planned! Can’t wait to see what cupcakes you make…I love that book!!! Enjoy your birthday boy!

joy - February 3, 2011 - 8:52 am

Happy birthday to Henry! He is adorable Tabitha!

Kristina P. - February 3, 2011 - 8:55 am

Love that book. I got it for Christmas last year. Looks like a great shindig!

lou - February 3, 2011 - 12:52 pm

I think as parents, it is our job to create wonderful memories for our children. Since most people cant remember their toddler years, it is really time for us to become good people and rediscover ourselves and the child like wonders we had long ago let go of. Enjoy creating each moment..you won’t ever regret it.

Sara - February 3, 2011 - 6:35 pm

Oh wow, Henry is so grown up all of a sudden! Look at all of those teeth he has! Also, your living room is gorgeous–I love the orange.

Nicole - February 3, 2011 - 7:02 pm

Ooh, I’ve been meaning to pic up that cupcake book!!! :) Please take pics of your goodies, K??

The Wife of Odie - February 3, 2011 - 8:25 pm

good luck!!! i can’t wait to see what your cupcakes look like. so wish i was going to be there. love you!!!

sparkly jules - February 4, 2011 - 2:14 am

I can’t believe that a year has gone by. What a handsome boy. I remember where I was when I first saw your post with his picture–walking through downtown Monterey, CA after seeing a movie. I was so excited, I kept scrolling through my BlackBerry. My husband kept telling me to “put that thing away,” so I had to explain it to him. LOL

So very happy for you.

Jules

admin - February 4, 2011 - 5:01 am

Thanks you guys! I baked three batches of cupcakes last night and have to bake more this morning. Unfortunately I tried a homemade recipe that I found in the book for the first batch and they ended up tasting like Jiffy Mix??? Arghhh… So I went to the store and bought cake mixes and now they’re sweeter and fluffier, just like a cupcake should be.

So excited!

ps – and you’re right, Henry is looking so grown up these days! He even needs his first haircut which is amazing considering that for the longest time he had no hair! :)

Casper - February 4, 2011 - 11:20 am

Good luck on the party!!! I am sure it will be simply wonderful!

Queen of Whirled - February 4, 2011 - 3:54 pm

Some might call me ridiculous for throwing my one year old an elaborate party (ahem…my mother). But I saw it as a splendid opportunity to get some really great photographs (which you can see here: http://www.queenofwhirled.com/2010/11/isla-in-onederland.html).
It took SO MUCH TIME! So I started planning number 2 back in October…the party is not until April.
It won’t be terribly fancy or expensive, but I like to hand make all the decor and have been hitting garage sales every weekend in search of cheap things I can use (cake stands, etc.).

Good luck! Can’t wait to see the photos!

admin - February 4, 2011 - 4:44 pm

Queen – LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your Alice in Onederland idea, it’s fantastic as is the painted teacups, pots, and saucers. I am truly impressed and will be contacting you for ideas for next year’s party. :)

admin - February 4, 2011 - 4:45 pm

ps – I write this on Friday night and am happy to report that party number one was a huge success! Will be posting pictures and recap next week. In the meantime, I have to get ready for party number two this weekend. :)

Mindee@ourfrontdoor - February 5, 2011 - 11:30 am

Looks like a perfect one year old birthday party! Can’t wait to see pics of the cupcakes.

Erin - February 7, 2011 - 7:58 pm

My Mom gave me that book a few months ago. I have yet to try anything out of it, but was going to try and do something for Owen’s birthday. :)

Happy Birthday Henry! Can you believe it’s been a year already!! Ridiculous.

Heidi - February 13, 2011 - 9:17 am

I love your living room. I had to put that out there. It’s so chic.

Well done on the cupcakes too. You’re a wealth of excellent ideas this morning. I’ve quite enjoyed relishing my one cup of coffee and catching up on your blog this fine Sunday morning.