A Change of Plans

Remember how last week I was all excited about our upcoming trip to the Bahamas?  So excited that I had gone out and bought a new bathing suit that I even planned to wear in public?

Well, that excitement lasted all the way up until Saturday night, the evening before we were to fly out.  At 8:30 pm, our son had a 102° temperature.  This was down from the 103° fever he had had the day before, but it still didn’t bode well for our big vacation.  We had taken him to the doctor on Thursday after he started crying and clutching his throat each time he tried to eat.  He was diagnosed with a sinus infection and we were told to quarantine him for 48 hours and that he should be better after that.  We were hopeful that he would be well enough to travel but after a panicked call to the doctor Friday night, I had my doubts.  Since we were scheduled to be at the airport at 5:30 am Sunday morning, we had to make a decision and make it fast.

We decided not to go.

I can’t even tell you how heartbroken I was.  It wasn’t our son’s fault of course and we had bought the insurance so we shouldn’t lose everything (just the airfare and hotel costs).  But still.  Having to call and tell my sweet sister (who was going on the trip with us) was the hardest thing I’ve had to do in a long time.  Feeling the pangs of disappointment and knowing how disheartened she and her family were too really weighed on me all week.  All of those plans out the window.

After a few days of sitting around the house, we decided to make new plans.  We waited until Henry was better and on Wednesday afternoon we hopped in the car and drove a few hours north to Cape May, New Jersey.

The Bahamas it wasn’t, but it had a beach and it was something other than our couch, so we were happy to go.  At least partly happy.  I still missed my sister and I still yearned to be with her on vacation.  Part of me was enjoying the sand and sunshine but a bigger part was feeling sad.

Still, we had a nice time and most importantly, Henry was better and the CPA enjoyed the break.

Oh – and I even got to wear my new bathing suit!

Mom of 5 - June 7, 2011 - 4:55 am

I was so heartbroken for both you girls and your families, after all the planning and anticipation of being together. I’m so glad Henry is much better. What a darling picture of him with his hat and sunglasses!!!

Natalie @ Queen of Whirled - June 7, 2011 - 5:03 am

OH I LOVE CAPE MAY! It’s the most adorable little seaside town. Way better than a cruise IMHO.
Natalie @ Queen of Whirled´s last [type] ..The History and The Lollipop

Kamae - June 7, 2011 - 5:58 am

Oh, Tabitha! I’m so sorry you missed your vacation but happy to hear Henry is feeling better.

Kristina P. - June 7, 2011 - 8:12 am

I would be thrilled to be anywhere there is a beach!
Kristina P.´s last [type] ..I Could Use Some Cortizone Cream For That Burning in My Bosom

Julie - June 7, 2011 - 8:40 am

Oh, such a bummer to miss that fab vacation. :( I’m so sorry, but am so impressed at you making lemonade out of lemons! I’m glad you were able to find a silver lining and get a little vacationing in!
Julie´s last [type] ..18 weeks a little late and the big reveal!

Nicole - June 7, 2011 - 8:44 am

I’m sorry you missed out on the vacation with your sister, that’s parenthood for you! I had to cancel a week long vacation to visit my mom a few years back due to chicken pox! I’m glad Henry’s better and you were able to get a mini-vacation in!

Märtha - June 7, 2011 - 9:02 am

I can imagine how sad you were not to go, I’m really sorry you missed that trip… But I’m glad to hear that Henry is better and Cape May looks amazing, too, I got to remember that for my “places to visit”-list ;)

RJ - June 7, 2011 - 9:29 am

I am so sorry! That is too bad. I am glad you guys could still find a fun little outing though. Always a bummer when plans have to change but it happens! Glad Henry is feeling better though, that is what matters most!
RJ´s last [type] ..How Can It Be

Monique - June 7, 2011 - 11:33 am

What a bummer for you all!!! First lesson of children, plans are never in stone. Glad to hear Henry is feeling better and you were able to do something.

Mindee@ourfrontdoor - June 7, 2011 - 8:56 pm

Ugh. Such is life – completely unpredictable. I’m SO glad you had the insurance so at least you weren’t overly worried about lost money on top of everything else.