The Early Bird Catches the Worm

Or, in my case, the early bird catches the beautiful sunrise.  I guess there is truth to the old adage that good things come to those who get up early.  At least that’s what I promised myself as I stumbled out of bed at 4:50 am on the last day of our vacation.

I had sworn all week that I would go out to the beach to watch the sunrise so it was now or never.

I walked across the street and beheld the miles of dark white stretched out before me.  As I made my way onto the sand, I felt the small grains slide between my toes and they made me smile.  The sand was cool to the touch and I found myself wishing I had worn a jacket.

I strolled along as I waited for the sun to make an appearance and I was surprised to see that I was not alone.  Several hundred feet away the silhouette of a man rose against the dark sky.  At first I thought he was meditating as he stood still by the edge of the water.  But unless fishing is a new form of meditation, he wasn’t there to find his center, but rather a nice, big bass.  (Are bass found in salt water?  I have no idea, but I don’t really know any other fish so bass it is.)

As I waited, I kept myself busy looking for cool shells to add to my collection.  I found a beautifully swirled shell which had probably housed a little crab at one time or another.  It was mine now, however, having long since been abandoned by its original owner.  I found a small rock that was a smooth and as clear as glass.  I could actually see through it.  That one has become my favorite.

I found several other pieces that have no meaning other than that they were pretty.  Almost as pretty as the beach and the sky itself which, by that point, was glowing a brilliant pink and purple.

Then suddenly, in one glorious moment, the colors changed.  The pink gave way to yellow and the corner of the sky looked like it was on fire.

The sun had arrived.

It wasn’t long before it cast its glow over the entire beach and everything in it.  Where there had been shadows before there was now light and warmth.

A new day had begun and I was there to see it happen.

I was one lucky bird.

Lisa - June 8, 2011 - 7:49 am

Gorgeous photos!

Kristina P. - June 8, 2011 - 8:07 am

These are stunning, Tabitha!
Kristina P.´s last [type] ..I Could Use Some Cortizone Cream For That Burning in My Bosom

Julie - June 8, 2011 - 10:04 am

Wow..great pics! it feels just like being there!
Julie´s last [type] ..Picture proof!

Terra - June 8, 2011 - 3:09 pm

I always travel in the very early hours of the morning so that my two little ones will sleep and wake up as we arrive at our destination (it’s about 4.5 hours to visit our family). I always feel like I have a special secret when I am driving and I get to watch the sun come up. Pictures never do it justice either, they just don’t capture the peace I feel. :)
I love your sunrise pictures.

Mom of 5 - June 9, 2011 - 4:55 am

Glorious pics and loved your commentary as well, I felt as though I were right there with you to enjoy the beautiful sunrise. It would have been perfect had I heard to ocean and felt a breeze….oh well, guess I’ll just have to plan a beach trip to experience a sunrise myself. Thanks for sharing these beautiful photos…so capitivating!!!

Paula @ KnitandSeek - June 9, 2011 - 8:27 am

Beautiful shots. Sometimes getting up at o-dark-thirty is totally worth it. But I still think it should be reserved for special occasions. ;) Sorry to hear your vacation plans changed, but glad to see you’re making the most of plan B!

birdie to be - June 9, 2011 - 10:39 am

Beautiful pictures!

Emily - June 10, 2011 - 2:01 pm

Totally worth dragging yourself out of bed, wasn’t it? I love sunrises.
Emily´s last [type] ..The Cheapest Raised Bed Ever

Carl Peter Allen - June 13, 2011 - 7:25 pm

These photos are stunning! Very nice work. Thanks for sharing.

Carl