Flexibility is my new motto

Over the past three months we have had to cancel two family trips which is why, when planning our current trip(s), we decided to try and be as flexible as possible.  We bought insurance for plane rides, we checked out the refund policy for hotels, and we planned and plotted every step of our journey with a contingency plan just in case.  All of this was to give us a way out in case our little Henry got sick again.

What we didn’t plan for, however, was what we would do if one of us got sick.  And we most certainly didn’t have a plan for both of us getting sick.  Which, of course, is exactly what happened.

Let me back up a bit to explain where we are.  Last week when I wrote, we had travelled out West to Utah to visit the CPA’s parents.  We had a wonderful journey and Henry loved getting to know Grandma and Grandpa.  We even managed to take a day trip out to Antelope Island where we got to see fantastic views of Utah’s natural habitat:

After eight days of visiting the folks, we flew home and quickly washed all of our clothes and a day later we boarded a plane for Boston.  Things were going according to plan as we rented a car and headed north.  Our final destination?  Canada.

And that’s where things went awry.  During our drive north, the CPA began to feel a little funny.  By the time we were an hour outside of Bar Harbor, Maine (the first stop on our trip) he was downright sick and I wasn’t feeling so hot either.

We checked into our hotel and got the baby to bed but somewhere in the middle of the night I realized that I, too, was suffering from the same ailment that was afflicting my poor husband.  Needless to say, the next day neither of us moved from the bed.  Thankfully the hotel had enough rooms to allow us to stay while we recouped but here we are, two days later, and still not feeling a 100%.

So what happened to all of those plans we had?  Well, we’re already a couple of days behind schedule so we don’t think the Canada is going to happen this time.

But you know what?  That’s okay.  Flexibility is my new motto, remember?  After our recent cancellations, I figure that the fact that we even made it out of Virginia is a huge step in the right direction.  So instead of heading to another country, we’re going to stay in New England for a few days and check out this beautiful area.

In fact, yesterday we went to the Acadia National Park.  One word for you:  AMAZING!  Expecially when you consider that last week we were here:

and now we’re here:

See the difference?

We are currently holed up in this delightful little B&B which is part of the town of Bar Harbor.  It’s a bit touristy for my taste (the town, not the B&B) which is fine, but I’m looking forward to the tiny towns we’ll be staying in on our way south.  Or maybe it’s just that this place is now tainted with memories of the many hours we spent inside the hotel room we just left, I don’t know.

Either way, I’m looking forward to moving on and putting the last few days behind us.

But hey – I’m flexible, remember?

Mom of 5 - July 12, 2011 - 1:00 pm

Glad the two of you are beginning to feel much better. What a time to get sick, but glad you’re so flexible!!! Enjoying the moment is truly a lesson in life we all really need to work on and you’re learning the lesson well. You’re enjoying where you are and all the great things surrounding you and your family. Hoping the little guy doesn’t “catch” what you had so that the rest of your trip will be great.

There’s so much to see in that area and I hope you have the opportunity to see everything you hope for the remainder of your trip. Take care of the three of you and keep those gorgeous pictures coming (as long as you feel well enough to take them of course!!)

Lisa - July 12, 2011 - 2:29 pm

You guys sure are troopers! I hope you are all feeling better to enjoy the rest of your time away. Flexibility is a wonderful thing when you embrace it :)
Lisa´s last [type] ..Jumping on the bandwagon

Linda - July 12, 2011 - 2:40 pm

Oh my goodness, you’re in my neck of the woods. Depending on when you leave, you should stop by Yarmouth. Tiny town off of 295 (Exit 17 to be exact) and check out the Clam Festival this weekend. It’s small but a lot of fun in this quaint New England town. :)

Kristina P. - July 12, 2011 - 3:12 pm

I need some pretty lake time!
Kristina P.´s last [type] ..Think We’ll Get to See The World’s Largest Shuttlecock?

RJ - July 12, 2011 - 6:59 pm

WOW! Hopefully you guys get better and stay better for the rest of your trip and future trips! That is no fun at all but yes the ability to be flexible is always a plus!
RJ´s last [type] ..5 Months

Mindee@ourfrontdoor - July 13, 2011 - 9:02 am

Maybe you need to stop making any plans at all. Just wake up one morning and decide to go. Perhaps if you sneak up on a vacation, no one’s body will have time to deceive you!

Julie - July 13, 2011 - 9:54 am

Bar Harbor?! You were sorta near me. I love Bar Harbor. Haven’t been in a couple years though. My husband proposed to me on top of Cadillac Mountain there in Acadia National Park. :)

Nicole - July 14, 2011 - 9:39 pm

Sorry you’ve been sick! I think flexible becomes every moms middle name!!! Hope you could enjoy the rest of the trip.

Kathy@ColorEdgeCRC.com - July 19, 2011 - 2:39 am

Yeah I agree, every mom is flexible. :) Anyway beautiful photos. A very spectacular scenery indeed. Enjoy your trip and hope you feel better now. :)
Kathy@ColorEdgeCRC.com´s last [type] ..Learn and Master Photography Review

Jessica@eBlu Cigs - July 19, 2011 - 2:55 am

Cool photos! It’s good you got to appreciate the new characteristic you acquired – flexibility. I’m a backpacker myself and my best buddy is flexibility on time scheduling. I’ve never get pissed off on being behind schedule, because that’s the perfect time for me to get to know more of the town and it’s people. Since you have a baby on board I may say that may be a little edge when you want to ask favors or help. ;)
Jessica@eBlu Cigs´s last [type] ..blu cigs

Amy - July 19, 2011 - 10:28 pm

Just stumbled across your blog for the first time. Traveling while sick is the worst! I hope you are feeling better. Acadia is one place “on my bucket list” I hope to hit one day.
Amy´s last [type] ..Everyday Mom First Ever Giveaway!