Over the past three months we have had to cancel two family trips which is why, when planning our current trip(s), we decided to try and be as flexible as possible. We bought insurance for plane rides, we checked out the refund policy for hotels, and we planned and plotted every step of our journey with a contingency plan just in case. All of this was to give us a way out in case our little Henry got sick again.
What we didn’t plan for, however, was what we would do if one of us got sick. And we most certainly didn’t have a plan for both of us getting sick. Which, of course, is exactly what happened.
Let me back up a bit to explain where we are. Last week when I wrote, we had travelled out West to Utah to visit the CPA’s parents. We had a wonderful journey and Henry loved getting to know Grandma and Grandpa. We even managed to take a day trip out to Antelope Island where we got to see fantastic views of Utah’s natural habitat:
After eight days of visiting the folks, we flew home and quickly washed all of our clothes and a day later we boarded a plane for Boston. Things were going according to plan as we rented a car and headed north. Our final destination? Canada.
And that’s where things went awry. During our drive north, the CPA began to feel a little funny. By the time we were an hour outside of Bar Harbor, Maine (the first stop on our trip) he was downright sick and I wasn’t feeling so hot either.
We checked into our hotel and got the baby to bed but somewhere in the middle of the night I realized that I, too, was suffering from the same ailment that was afflicting my poor husband. Needless to say, the next day neither of us moved from the bed. Thankfully the hotel had enough rooms to allow us to stay while we recouped but here we are, two days later, and still not feeling a 100%.
So what happened to all of those plans we had? Well, we’re already a couple of days behind schedule so we don’t think the Canada is going to happen this time.
But you know what? That’s okay. Flexibility is my new motto, remember? After our recent cancellations, I figure that the fact that we even made it out of Virginia is a huge step in the right direction. So instead of heading to another country, we’re going to stay in New England for a few days and check out this beautiful area.
In fact, yesterday we went to the Acadia National Park. One word for you: AMAZING! Expecially when you consider that last week we were here:
and now we’re here:
See the difference?
We are currently holed up in this delightful little B&B which is part of the town of Bar Harbor. It’s a bit touristy for my taste (the town, not the B&B) which is fine, but I’m looking forward to the tiny towns we’ll be staying in on our way south. Or maybe it’s just that this place is now tainted with memories of the many hours we spent inside the hotel room we just left, I don’t know.
Either way, I’m looking forward to moving on and putting the last few days behind us.
But hey – I’m flexible, remember?