How to Know if You’re a True Harry Potter Fan

As most of the free world knows, the newest (and final) movie in the Harry Potter (HP) series has hit theaters.  So exciting!  But not everyone has jumped on the Hogwarts train.  In fact, I’m willing to bet there are some of you who couldn’t care less about the magical world of Harry Potter.  Some of you may not even be (gasp) true Harry Potter Fans!

(picture courtesy of Wikipedia)

So how do you know if you are a true HP fan?  Well, I’ve devised a little test to help you out.  Don’t worry, it’ll be easy.  Just answer the following questions and tally your points when you’re finished.

1.)  You have read all seven HP books.  5 Points

2.)  You currently own all seven of those books in their hardback form.  10 Points

3.)  At least one of those copies is signed by the author.  15 Bonus Points

4.)  You have seen all eight HP movies in the theater immediately upon their release.  5 Points

5.)  You have camped out all night to get tickets to one of the early screenings and you don’t even have children to use as an excuse.  10 Points

6.)  You saw at least one of those movies in the theater during a visit to Oxford, England (where part of the movie was filmed) while on your honeymoon.  15 Bonus Points (and my great respect, btw)

7.)  When you found out that a new HP movie was coming out, you re-read all of the books just because.  5 Points

8.)  Your husband offered to babysit for a couple of hours and you used that time to go see the last HP movie.  And you stayed through the whole thing even though the air conditioner in the movie theater was out.  And it was 100 degrees outside.  50 Points

That’s the end of the test.  Now use the scale below to see if you are a true Harry Potter fan:

• 95-105 points – You are a true, bonafide Harry Potter Fan.  In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if you own a red and yellow striped scarf and have named your dog Hedwig.
  • 94-80 points - You are definitely a Harry Potter fan.  You have read all the books and seen all the movies but stop short of using a British accent every time you say the name “Harry Potter.”  (don’t tell me you’ve never done that.)
  • 79-60 points – While a Harry Potter fan at heart, your actions don’t always give away your true feelings.  You enjoy the stories when you have time to read them and you may have seen the movies on video, but you are not likely to own the HP action figures or matching HP lunch box.
  • 59-40 points – A closeted HP fan, you have been impressed with the movies and the books but feel no need to announce these feelings to the world (or to close friends) for fear of being teased.
  • 39 points and below – You are one of the few who have either not heard of Harry Potter and don’t know what a Hermoine is, or you are so tired of hearing about records set by the franchise and how much money J.K. Rowling is making, that you completely refuse to read, hear, or watch anything HP related.

Well, there you have it, a test to see if you are a true Harry Potter Fan.  How did you do?

oh – and in case you’re wondering, I’m “definitely a Harry Potter Fan” myself.  Although I do say “Harry Potter” with an English accent every chance I get.  I can’t help it, it just doesn’t sound right otherwise.

Mom of 5 - July 25, 2011 - 4:21 am

Definitely a BIG HP, loved all the books (yes, still have all hardcovered copies proudly displayed on my bookshelves), loved going to the theater to see them all and even took my husband who hasn’t read them.

My journey into the world of wizards began because my oldest granddaughter and step-daughter was reading them and it became somewhat a challenge to see who could read them the fastest. We used to call one another when the newest book would come out because, yes, sometimes we’d go at midnight to be first in line to purchase the books and we’ll call and talk to them because they’re in another state – 2 hours behind us and we’d tease them but stop short by reading the first page to them as they stood in line to get their copies – what fun!!!

Glad you enjoyed the last movies – wasn’t it super? Just wish you could have enjoyed more had the air conditioner been working properly in the theater. But looking forward to getting my copy once it’s released for home so I can see it again and again!!!

Kristy - July 25, 2011 - 5:44 am

I guess I fail as a fan. :) I’ve read all the books, but I’ve not seen all of the movies.
Kristy´s last [type] ..Or Else!

Lisa - July 25, 2011 - 6:02 am

I failed as a true HP fan! I do love the books but that’s as far as I got on your little quiz :)
Lisa´s last [type] ..My Half-Birthday

John von Cannon - July 25, 2011 - 6:03 am

I flunked that test–not even close. But, I have seen almost all the movies and will see the latest probably in a couple of weeks!!

April - July 25, 2011 - 8:32 am

I failed too! I think you should add extra points for anyone who might have both hard- and soft- cover versions of each book. Which might possibly include me, thus bumping up my score. ;-)

Kristina P. - July 25, 2011 - 9:10 am

I am definitely not a true HP fan. I’ve only seen the movies, and even then, I really have no idea what happened. My friends are at HP Land in Florida right now. They are the true fans.
Kristina P.´s last [type] ..Think We’ll Get to See The World’s Largest Shuttlecock?

Mindee@ourfrontdoor - July 25, 2011 - 10:14 am

Well we used to own them all in hard back, but the kids read and re-read them so many times that a couple of volumes have fallen apart!

Cristina - July 25, 2011 - 10:20 am

HAHA hilarious post! My husband has not had a day off work since the movie was released … but guess what we’re doing Friday night? SOOOOO excited! We definitely read the books again before going to see the movie. Your quiz should have mentioned the books on tape … those are AWESOME on road trips, and personally, I think listening to those should give me a couple more points. ; )
Cristina´s last [type] ..A Stolen Life by Jaycee Dugard: Book Review

Natalie @ Queen of Whirled - July 25, 2011 - 11:24 am

I don’t even have to take the test to know I will fail. I started reading the first book and got bored. I kept up with the first few movies, but I don’t even remember how we got to 8 so dang fast.
Natalie @ Queen of Whirled´s last [type] ..So Long, Farewell

Michelle @ A Little P - July 26, 2011 - 3:39 pm

You are a dedicated fan!

I don’t really register on the fan list though since I’ve not read a single on though I have seen all of the movies – but I’m embarrassed to say that I’ve fallen asleep in three of them. In the theater. I loved the last two and feel gypped because I was just REALLY starting to enjoy them!

I also love to say Harry Potter in a British accent. And, I have to say his name at least three times in a row. Harry Potter! Harry Potter! Harry Potter!
Michelle @ A Little P´s last [type] ..Homebody

Kristin Morrissey - July 26, 2011 - 7:18 pm

that was fun! I’m “definitely a Harry Potter fan” as is my 11 year old son. I saw HP7pt2 twice in the theater already. I also LOVE the Jim Dale audios. I’m 41 with 4 kids, by the way…

Vanessa@Vitamins City - July 27, 2011 - 1:11 am

I failed as a true Harry Potter fan! But hey, I watched 4 HP movies and read all 7 HP books on e-book.:)
Thank you for sharing this post and How to Know if You’re a True Harry Potter Fan quiz! :)
Vanessa@Vitamins City´s last [type] ..Nitric Oxide

admin - July 27, 2011 - 1:36 pm

You’re right – you should definitely get points for listening to the audio books! Actually, that sounds kind of fun. I wonder if they’re read with an English accent? Hmm….

EmilyG - July 28, 2011 - 11:57 am

They are! The audiobooks are incredible. Dale is my favorite.

Chryzel@Eyelash Growth Info - July 31, 2011 - 10:38 pm

I failed as a Harry Potter fan, but I am definitely a Harry Potter fan!lols And Yeah I enjoyed the audio books! :)
Chryzel@Eyelash Growth Info´s last [type] ..Novalash