Why are there two Washingtons?

Today Henry woke me up at 5:30.  As in 5:30 am.  I brought him back to bed with me but alas, he wasn’t tired.  I have a red mark on my nose from where he kicked me to prove it.  Note to self: teach Henry not to kick anymore.

The good news is that I’ve been majorly productive as a result.  I’ve washed dishes, scrubbed the bath tub, done three loads of laundry, written thank you notes, and even made the bed.  And it’s only 9:30 am.

The bad news is that I need a nap in a major way.  But I’m hoping to keep it together long enough to take Henry to the playground and then put him down for a nap after an early lunch.  I can make it as long as I don’t sit still for too long.

In the meantime, here’s a recap of the weekend: we had good weather for a change.  I swear sometimes it feels like we live in Washington State instead of Washington, DC.  But without all of the coffee shops and the grunge movement.  I take that back, we do have a lot of coffee shops but they’re all Starbucks or Carribeau Coffees, none of the independent cafes that I think of when picturing our Western namesake.

Speaking of that topic.  Exactly why do we have two Washingtons in the United States?  It must be so confusing to those not from the US.  Actually it’s pretty confusing to those of us who are, now that I think about it.  Do you know how many times I’ve filled out my address online and have had to search for “Washington, DC” in the drop down menu because it’s always different?  It’s either listed as Washington, Washington D.C., or District of Columbia, but you never know which.  (Not to be confused with Washington State, of course.)

Anyway, back to the weekend.  It started off great considering I got my replacement iPhone (the new model) on Friday.  I’m loving it, Siri updates and all.

On Saturday we took Henry to a fair downtown where they had games and pumpkins and all kinds of cool stuff that kids would enjoy.  Kids who are older than our son, that is. We had grand ideas of Henry participating in all the fun activities, but he just wasn’t into painting pumpkins or playing in the bounce house.  He did, however, hold still long enough to get a couple of “tattoos” which he enjoyed showing off all day.  And he had fun on the slides and the swings so it worked out in the end.

We then had a nice lunch with a friend and afterwards I met with the jeweler in my never-ending quest for my replacement ring (yes, I’m still dealing with that).  We got the insurance check but I’m still trying to decide on the ring itself.  I’ve narrowed it down to this:

or this:

Decisions, decisions.

Well, it’s off to work I go.  Fall is busy season as people are getting their pictures done to include with Christmas cards so I’d better get back to editing.

Until later…

Kristina P. - October 17, 2011 - 7:32 pm

Those are both amazing. My ring cost like $350. I sometimes want to upgrade, but I”m OK with it. Sob.
Kristina P.´s last [type] ..Mother May I

Courtney - October 17, 2011 - 8:07 pm

Both rings are beautiful! I don’t think you can go wrong with either one.

And…I must admit. I’m loving my new iphone too. 4s is SUCH an improvement from my beloved, faithful 3g. :)
Courtney´s last [type] ..October Photography Challenge – Day 10

Mary.H - October 17, 2011 - 8:47 pm

I personally like the second one. By the way do you have a Photography website?

Mom of 5 - October 18, 2011 - 4:39 am

What a great weekend..the weather was beautiful indeed. Love Henry’s tatoos…way too cute. He had the best seat in the place riding the CPA’s shoulders around, he didn’t miss seeing a thing perched there for sure – what fun.

The second ring is my personal favorite but I know you’ll love either of them, they’re both beautiful choices. Just go with your heart.

Yea for customers wanting photos for Christmas cards, etc. What a great time for your photography business and should be such fun with folks dressing for the season, just hope it’s not to hot when they’re dressed in warm sweaters, etc. Just be sure you don’t see any perspiration drops on their foreheads when you take the photos – dead give away!!!

Have fun and enjoy this time of business activity and can’t wait to see which ring you choose.

M

Sue - October 18, 2011 - 5:53 am

Wow, what a fun choice. :) Both of them are gorgeous, but I think I prefer the 2nd one. It’s more unique (I have 3 friends with rings almost identical to the first one), and talk about sparkle! As much as I adore my ring and would be devastated to lose it, I’m still a little jealous that you get to go diamond shopping. :)

admin - October 18, 2011 - 6:32 am

Funny, the second one is my favorite too. But… I’m so worried about having an experience like I did the first time around where we had our rings made and it ended up not looking a thing like the picture. (The ring itself would need to be made, this is a picture that I found online of an estate ring.) That said, I’ve seen similar rings that this jeweler has made before and he does fantastic work so it probably won’t be a problem.

ps – Caroline, I’m with you. I’m loving the new 4s but my phone was an old 3g as well so any upgrade is an improvement!

Nadia - October 19, 2011 - 11:59 pm

The First one definitely!
It’s gorgeous!!

Erin - October 21, 2011 - 1:45 pm

I like the second ring more! But the first one is gorgeous, too!

Heidi - October 22, 2011 - 8:30 pm

I remember there was a time when waking up before 6 a.m. seemed ludicrous. Now it just seems hopeful. It’s 11:30 at night and I’m looking at MY Henry in his video monitor and I’m hoping like hell he sleeps til 5:30.

When did the sleeping get better for you? Six months? One year?

We’ve resorted to sleeping with him when he wakes that early because it takes more effort to get him back down at that hour. I like the cuddle time, but I’m hoping it doesn’t create more problems down the road. We’ve got a queen bed and it’s already occupied by an overweight pug.