superbowl – what superbowl?

Okay, okay.  I knew about the Super Bowl.  In fact, the CPA watched it so we did have it on.  I did not, however, know who was playing.  I only know now because I got a news notification on my phone tell me who had won.  I’m still confused though, which team had Tom Brady and which team had Eli Manning?  They were the only interesting thing about the whole game.

Well, that and the food.  Apparently the Super Bowl (SB for short) is a great excuse to go light on the Sunday night dinner.  I took full advantage and made these awesome muffins stuffed with taco meat and topped with cheese:

I also had bought us some yummy chips & dip as with some mini-cupcakes for dessert.  How often can I do all that and call it a real dinner?

There there was the half time show featuring Madonna.  Pretty cool, I have to admit.  But was it just me, or did she seem a little slow?  Granted the lady is pushing 53 and you’d never know it otherwise, so I really can’t say much.  I think she did a pretty good job overall and even the CPA said it was entertaining.

Oh – and let’s not forget the commercials.  Truly the best part of the Super Bowl.  I know I’m dating myself, but my favorite was the Ferris Bueller ad.  Broderick?  Broderick?  Ha!  Awesome!

You need to a flashplayer enabled browser to view this YouTube video

The ads I could do without?  Go Daddy.com.  Why are they always so sexual?  I would choose clever and witty over sexual any day.  Speaking of clever and witty: the Voice with Betty White.  She’s so cute.

You need to a flashplayer enabled browser to view this YouTube video

But the best part of the whole night was watching the SB on our brand new, 51″ flat screen TV.

Yes, we are officially the last people that I know to finally purchase a flat screen.  But hey – better late than never!

Did you watch the Super Bowl?  Do you watch it for the game itself, the commercials, or the half-time show?

Urban Wife - February 6, 2012 - 7:54 am

Downton Abbey > Super Bowl

I know, I know. Someone will probably crucify me for that but that’s my opinion. The end. :)
Urban Wife´s last [type] ..British Television & Films: Part II

joy - February 6, 2012 - 8:48 am

Nope, you’re not the absolutely last person to purchase a flat screen. :) Those taco muffins look delish. Can you share the recipe?

Mindee@ourfrontdoor - February 6, 2012 - 7:34 pm

It’s all about the food for me. In fact, I call it “Pig Out Day”!

carolina - February 7, 2012 - 2:30 am

Actually I beg to differ, Tabitha! :o ) The hubby and I still haven’t bought a flat screen. We don’t even have a television in our house….how cool is that?! Your muffins look delicious!!
carolina´s last [type] ..2012 was the start of it all

sparkly jules - February 7, 2012 - 3:56 am

No flat screen here. I just can’t bring myself to spend that kind of money on a TV.

The last TV I purchased was a 19″ analog (I had a very small rental) in 2000. It was $149-. Still have it.

Our living room TV is a 32″ analog that my in-laws gave us. You know, when they got a flat screen. :-) (Seriously, we’ll probably get a flat screen. That TV weighs about 160 pounds.)

j.

Chantelle - February 7, 2012 - 4:18 am

Ooh, those muffins look good! I don’t think we have anything like the Superbowl over here… But I’m not huge on sports, so I may be wrong! :-) I do love all the excitement that surrounds it though, and that it seems to be an excuse to make lots of yummy bite-sized foods and veg out with friends and family. I’m all for that!

Amy Turner @ Credit Donkey - February 7, 2012 - 5:51 am

The muffins look enticing. I hope you can share your recipe. Looks very different from ordinary ones. Oh, and now maybe you know which teams Tom Brady and Eli Manning belong.
Amy Turner @ Credit Donkey´s last [type] ..Energy Cost: Tips to Stay Afloat with Energy Prices Rising

Tracy - February 8, 2012 - 11:47 am

Ok I didn’t see any of the super bowl commercials and that Betty White one was hilarious! Thanks for sharing!

diana - February 9, 2012 - 10:10 am

Yesterday was too filled with things for me, so I’ve come around only today: Happy birthday, Henry Grant! And happy anniversary, Tabitha! It’s been two years since you’ve became a mother!

diana - February 9, 2012 - 10:10 am

Yesterday%20was%20too%20filled%20with%20things%20for%20me%2C%20so%20I’ve%20come%20around%20only%20today%3A%20Happy%20birthday%2C%20Henry%20Grant!%20And%20happy%20anniversary%2C%20Tabitha!%20It’s%20been%20two%20years%20since%20you’ve%20became%20a%20mother!

diana - February 9, 2012 - 10:12 am

I’m sorry for the previous comment, I don’t know what went wrong. Happy birthday to Henry and happy anniversary to Tabitha! Two years since becoming a mother! Many, many happy returns….

Tressa - February 13, 2012 - 12:36 am

Holding out hope for a recipe for the muffins. And … was working during the Super Bowl but, even if I wasn’t, I would have been more interested in the food and commercials than the game.

admin - February 13, 2012 - 7:25 am

ahhhh yes, the recipe. Quite simple actually. Spray a muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray. Using one 10-oz can refrigerated biscuits, place 1 biscuit in each muffin cup; firmly press down with fingers in middle to the bottom and up the sides, forming 1/4 inch rims. Bake until biscuits are browned, about 15 minutes. Allow to cool in pan for 5 minutes. (I used the Pillsbury Grands which were too big so I ended up having to cut out the middle of the muffins in order to make my “shell”.)

Add fillings – I made taco meat and filled the shells then added cheese and fixings. I baked them for a few minutes to melt the cheese. I’ve also made mini-quiches that were quite good. To do that, whisk together six eggs, 1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper, 1/2 cup finely chopped onion, and 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese. Place pre-cooked biscuit bowls on a cookie sheet, and divide the mixture evenly among them (about 1/4 cup each). Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 30 minutes (mine took less time than that). You can also fill the bowls with your favorite chilly or pulled pork.

Recipe taken from Parenting Magazine.