Busy is as Busy Does

Busy does not begin to describe how I’ve been the past couple of weeks.  It’s not like I haven’t been busy before of course, but now I’m busy and stressed.  Not a good combo. It all boils down to our house hunt.  We had started looking at houses again with the idea that we’d put our place on the market once Spring had come.  What we didn’t count on was falling in love with this:Beautiful.  Six bedrooms, five baths, two offices, a screened in porch, and a mudroom.  Oh – and a gorgeous kitchen.  It wasn’t perfect, of course, the backyard was rather small even though it did overlook a golf course.  The master bedroom was on the main floor and the other bedrooms were upstairs (and a guest room in the basement), which I wasn’t a huge fan of as I want to be close to the baby.  But we still loved it. We submitted a contract and then held our breath for two days until we heard back from the seller.

In the meantime, we scrambled to get our house ready to put in the market.  After meeting with a couple of realtors, we realized we would have to redo the bathroom and the kitchen before trying to sell our house.  Once the contract was ratified (accepted) we would have to get these changes done within seven days.  Seven days people. Needless to say, the contract was ratified and we had a construction team start the renovation.

(This is the bathroom stripped down to its bones.  Not a pretty sight is it?)

I did my part and spent every day painting, cleaning, and/or shopping for pieces to help us stage the house.  It took a couple of weeks, but the work was finally complete. And what happened during that time with the house that we loved?  We had a home inspection and found out that the stucco covering the outside wasn’t done correctly.  While it’s possible it could have been fixed, we didn’t want to mess with it so we walked away.

Sad.

That’s the bad news.  The good news is that the work on the house is finally done.  And it looks fantastic!

We had done a lot of the cosmetic work at the end of the year.  Our realtor had told us to tone down the colors and make everything more neutral.  For example, our living room used to look like this:Now it looks like this:

And the kitchen was redone too:

Then there’s the bathroom:

After all of that hard work, we put the house on the market where it’s sat for the past 13 days.  There’s been some interest but no contracts yet.  We’re hopeful though.  Which is why we continue to house hunt every chance we get.  Each weekend the CPA, Henry and I fill up the gas tank and head out to the area where we’re looking – half an hour away.  It’s not far but it feels like a different world.  The houses are three – four times the size of our house and cost two hundred thousand dollars less.  Crazy, right?  We go from neighborhood to neighborhood weighing the pros and cons of each.  It takes a lot of time, but we’re learning a ton and we’ve started to narrow down our search.

In the meantime, daily routines continue but they’re a little skewed in between play dates, keeping the house spotless for the occasional possible buyer, and making trips  to look at newly listed houses.  It’s an exhausting time but good too.  I’ll be glad when we find our new house, sell this one, and move.  I crave normalcy and the feeling of being settled.

Until then, thanks to those of you who have stopped by to check in.  With our long days and time spent away from home, I’ve hardly been online at all.  I miss it and I fully plan on returning to my regular blogging schedule as soon as possible.  :)

diana - March 28, 2012 - 10:29 am

Fingers crossed that everything falls into place as you need and want it to be. (I loved the before bathroom…). Thank you!

Nicole - March 28, 2012 - 10:36 am

I love all the changes in your home. Good luck in selling this one and buying the next! It is lots of work and stressful, but it will be so worth it when all is said and done.

Rosi - March 28, 2012 - 11:34 am

Just glad to hear you are okay!

Urban Wife - March 28, 2012 - 12:44 pm

All those changes really make a difference! Personally I love cheery colors but I can see why they wouldn’t work as well when you’re trying to sell. Good luck with your home sale and search. :)
Urban Wife´s last [type] ..Papaya Smoothie

Kristina P - March 28, 2012 - 2:19 pm

Everything looks great! We did work after we put our condo on the market, and had pretty much zero interest. Ultimately, we decided not to list it again, and just rent it out because the market is still so bad.

I hope those changes pay off one day!
Kristina P´s last [type] ..Blog Eat Blog

Maria - March 28, 2012 - 9:04 pm

Sending positive vibes for selling your home and finding the dream home…

Chantelle - March 29, 2012 - 1:56 am

Glad that you’re alright! That house looks stunning, I can see why you’ve fallen for it!! :-)
And the changes to your house look great, too! Although if I’m being honest, I absolutely loved the way you had your living room and bathroom before but it’s not for everyone, and I’m sure the changes will help get your house moving on the market! :-) Good luck, and can’t wait to hear what happens next!

Mom of 5 - March 29, 2012 - 4:31 am

You’ve done a stunning job in the renovations on your home – everything looks wonderful!!! It’s a complete job working on getting a new home. Hang in there you two in searching for the home that calls out to your family “this is the place”. You’ll find it and then you’ll wonder why you’d looked anywhere else. Just the right folks will find your present home and just love it and will want it NOW…so don’t despair.

Your plate has been full and running over, we’ve missed your blogging and look forward to your having the opportunity to update more frequently once things get settled down in your new place.

Wishing you peace and calmness in the madness of looking for a new home, taking care of Henry, play dates, and everything else that makes up your life. While out on your family trips looking – take a few moments to enjoy being together in this new adventure and stop and get a treat for your family and just enjoy watching Henry for a few minutes – then go back to looking. It’ll all come together and happy you will be!!!

Mindee@ourfrontdoor - March 30, 2012 - 11:23 am

Well really, who wants to vacuum six bedroom all the time anyway?

Sorry you had to walk away from that one, but I’m sure there’s something even better in store for you.

Sonja - March 31, 2012 - 10:23 am

Hey there! I realize this is somewhat off-topic but I needed to ask. Does building a well-established blog like yours require a massive amount work? I’m completely new to writing a blog however I do write in my diary daily. I’d like to start a blog so I can share my personal experience and feelings online. Please let me know if you have any recommendations or tips for brand new aspiring blog owners. Thankyou!
Sonja´s last [type] ..childrens place coupon code

Victoria Scott - April 4, 2012 - 1:59 am

All I can say is good job and hurray for the extreme effort and good outcome! :)
Victoria Scott´s last [type] ..MSDSonline Management Partners with ICG Group, to Acquire MSDSonline from Existing Investors