Cry me a river

The topic of conversation today is crying.  Why?  Because it seems that I hear a lot of it these days.  There’s crying if a certain someone has to stop playing with his trains so we can get in the car.  Then there’s crying when I insist on changing a diaper that is hanging to his knees from being so full.  And, my personal favorite, the crying that takes place when he gets in trouble and has to spend a minute in time out.

I shouldn’t be surprised by all of the waterworks.  I knew going into this that parenting would be hard and that it would have its challenging moments.  But as a non-cryer, this constant shedding of tears has thrown me for a loop.

I realize that crying is just the symptom.  Our two-year old is going through a lot of changes and I’m sure it’s frustrating.  He’s adding new words to his vocabulary everyday, but he still struggles with getting his point across and I still struggle with understanding it.  That’s got to be enough to drive anyone to tears.  He’s also becoming more independent, which adds a certain level of contention to the mix.  He wants his way and I want mine.  He’s not yet to the point of being able to reason or to understand that actions have consequences, so trying to convince him that my way is the right way for now just doesn’t work.

All of this adds up to some serious wailing these days and it’s been enough for me to question not only my decisions but also my skills as a parent.  But I keep pressing forward because that’s what parents do.  And because everyone assures me that it’s just a phase and that it gets better.  But the real reason I keep going is because of the small moments that remind me how much I love this little boy.  Like yesterday morning when Henry lifted his head, looked up at me with those big blue eyes and his beautiful smile, and said, “Hi Mama.”

Yep, it’s worth it, every single minute of it.  Even with the crying.

That said, if you have any words of advice, I’m all ears.

Susanne Nielsen - April 13, 2012 - 9:26 am

It’s kind of interesting you bring this up, cause I was just thinking how surprised I was when I was a young mother and saw my 10 year old nephew crying about something-or-another at a family get together. I remember looking at him and thinking “he’s STILL crying?! I thought they grew out of that phase.”

So, just to let you know, don’t expect it to end any time soon. ;) Forewarned is forearmed, so to speak. LOL

Sara - April 13, 2012 - 11:22 am

Henry looks so much like his daddy :)
Sara´s last [type] ..Breech baby

Urban Wife - April 13, 2012 - 12:36 pm

He looks like such a precious, little man! Seriously don’t know how you Mom’s do it, not letting the tears sway you when you’re trying to teach discipline.
Urban Wife´s last [type] ..Homemade Granola: White Chocolate Cherry

Mindee@ourfrontdoor - April 14, 2012 - 10:48 am

Will it help if I tell you to enjoy two because three is SO much worse?

Oh. Okay, I’ll just keep quiet then. :)

HeatherM - April 14, 2012 - 1:10 pm

Honestly, kids cry at this age because they are upset or frustrated, but also because they have learned it gets them attention and sympathy. Watch why he is crying- if it is to try and get you to do something, say “use your words” and ignore the crying. The more you respond to the crying and give him attention when he cries, the more often he will cry. Expect some MAJOR meltdowns in the transition phase, as it will take Henry time to learn that his cries aren’t going to get him the attention he wants.
And when he does use his words, give him TONS of positive reinforcement- cheers, high fives, etc.

Naomi Porter - April 15, 2012 - 8:11 pm

He’s growing up fast and you as well should grow with him. When he cries, comfort him. Ask him what’s wrong and show him that you’re listening. Take time and be patient. Kids are kids!^^
Naomi Porter´s last [type] ..MSDSonline Management Partners with ICG Group, to Acquire MSDSonline from Existing Investors

Johnnie - April 18, 2012 - 5:13 pm

Everyone loves what you guys tend to be up too. Such clever work and coverage! Keep up the fantastic works guys I’ve included you guys to my personal blogroll.
Johnnie´s last [type] ..Another Coupon Idea For The Parents

Andrea Covey - April 20, 2012 - 3:36 pm

Parenting’s a tough job but worth it. Also, it’s okay for kids to get what they want every now and then, but not always… I hate it when parents spoil their kids too much!
Andrea Covey´s last [type] ..4 Chic Ways to Celebrate Earth Day